Making Biter attacks based on Time intervals

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Zolokhan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Making Biter attacks based on Time intervals

Post by Zolokhan »

Is there a way to make biter attacks set to a random timed interval instead of pollution based? Rampant does this but its raiding and sieging AI tends to mess up biter expansion and you cannot start Ramapant on a higher evolution becuase you get swamped immediately.

I want to start a game with 100% evolution, max spawners, and all techs unlocked to just get right into base defense. I would like less frequent but larger biter attacks (Rampant is too frequent and goes overboard) ... I miss the wave gameplay of vanilla but need it not based on pollution ... so if there was like a random horde timer that caused spawners to initiate an attack the same as pollution but was not triggered by pollution but time .. like min / max time interval.

Thank you for any help :)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Making Biter attacks based on Time intervals

Post by DaveMcW »

It is already a setting in freeplay.

biter_settings.png
biter_settings.png (40.44 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

DaveMcW wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm
It is already a setting in freeplay.
That looks to me like it's for expansions, not for invasions.

Zolokhan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zolokhan »

That setting is for expansions ... it will just cause them to move towards your base but then stop and make a spawner. Which is cool but not what I am looking for.

Like if there was some way to make the expansion AI mechanic INTO a straight up attack mechanic ... that would be cool.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Biter Battles scenario has a different attack approach, so it should be possible:
https://github.com/Factorio-Biter-Battl ... er-Battles

Maybe also have a look into wave-defense scenario in base mod

Zolokhan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zolokhan »

THat is a good idea looking at the scenarios. I will look at the triggers they used. Thanks

Zolokhan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zolokhan »

I was checking out the Wave Defense scenario and the attacks are all directed towards the silo and it affects all the biters on the map i think. In order for this to work I would need to make the biters target the normal default targetting but it is not based on spawners .. it is just a command for biters to attack .

I wonder if there was a way to make an invisible pollution ticker that automatically made spawners absorb pollution without you actually making the pollution cloud. I want the attacks to be more organic and less predictable ... so if every spawner was rng pollution absorption triggers ..

Some work around I did was start the game at zero evolution but I modded every new enemy mod to have 100 level evolution biters spawn at 0 evolution ... so the enemies are max toughness at the game start and will attack you but they are not 100 evolution level AI or aggressiveness .. the next step was to bump up evolution per time to a good level where in around an hour or so or more ... they will be at evolution 100 and I should have a base by then to survive ... maybe. lol

Return to “Modding discussion”