[1.0.1+] Order of the Mods installed

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.0.1+] Order of the Mods installed

Post by i_i »

Wondering if there's a way to edit the order the mods are installed?
RE-Start Combo-Mods   MOD PACKS
  • Terrain
  • Game Conditions

• Bundles ModPacks; Changes that are applied and used at the beginning of a game
Start up Category
  • Skins
  • Intros; Mods that activate Before Game Starts
  • Mods that Activate During Early stages of the Game...
    Dies off or becomes moot/useless after a development stage.
Recipes
Entities
ACTIVATES on a later stage of Development.
  • additionals
  • Code Engines
  • Entities
  • Replacement textures for Client 10Mods
Player side Mods
> Sounds & Music
> INFO
> Helper Interfaces

or coding order?
Last edited by i_i on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

khalismur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18+] Order of the Mods installed

Post by khalismur »

Why?

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Buttons Database

Post by i_i »

Conflicting Shortcut keys in mod.

on conflicting mods super seceding each other

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Buttons Database

Post by Klonan »

i_i wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:42 am

Do you have a specific issue, or is this hypothetical?

Generally if mods have conflicts, you can report it to the mod authors and using the dependencies system, correct the loading order

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by i_i »

Klonan wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 am
i_i wrote:

Do you have a specific issue, or is this hypothetical?

Generally if mods have conflicts, you can report it to the mod authors and using the dependencies system, correct the loading order
BOTH; as for the Order like if it's a Just recipes or entities or tech on which the mods gets installed first whether it conflicts with other mods or manipulates the same line of code. and a few times i find installing a mods one by one works better and when i try install both at the same time it stops running. (one could argue could be bad coding of one mod conflicting with other mods, probably why i either deleted both mods or wait till it gets updated.) just like an internal Mod etiquette where they place a value order to specify which parts their mods manipulate and overlaps. not sure if this is already done automatically already cause a few mods i installed weren't conflicting before. then showed later in the incompatibility list in red AFTER i ran them together once.
The solution is like the startup order similar to booting up windows msedit? sysconfig?
  • widows essential
  • 3rd party essential
  • messengers
  • games at the bottom of the list etc..

The buttons where the mods used should be placed at the front of the description as to be seen when steam is offline mode. (i know only few modders do document their work properly, as to avoid this issue in the 1st place.) the way the listing of different mods buttons where its categories can be shrunk and can be compared easily to others but others are over looked by the 3 tabs (but easier to be categorized and compared, but it's our problem since simplicity and stability of the program) it's a difficult decision.

I guess an informal list to be created in the forums on which keys are used in the mod. so modders could take a quick look on which mods uses which keys and they key they could use to select if it doesn't conflict with other mods on which window they are presently activated?

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

i_i wrote:
Conflicting Shortcut keys in mod. on conflicting mods super seceding each other
Conflicting by default, as in "both use 'T'", or conflicting as in crashy?

Anyway, manually reordering mods would let players solve this, but it is the worst possible way in my experience. Some sort of indication that conflicting keybindings exist would be much better, since it directly prompts the user to solve the problem. (Showing that when there are conflicting *defaults* would be better still.)

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18+] Order of the Mods installed

Post by i_i »

Yes, on either cases there could be command key that overlap during the process. and does wired effects like multiple Zooming-in/out mods.

Like the BASE 1.0 Be the 1st to be installed and the rest are what follows unless there's a Patch or Server Mod pack needs to be 1st to be installed.

Also other Mods that are only installed in the CLIENT only for Cosmetic interface and Helper that the Server Doesn't need to Have.
(if conflict arises then let it be. till the mod able to Fix it. and at least the error is Client Side not server side.)

Return to “Modding discussion”