Confused about mods.

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
fury
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Confused about mods.

Post by fury »

Hi factory heads :). I need some help about modding my gaming experience, but i got confused real fast. First of all, im not a computer noob, i know my way around things and i've already install the Dytech Core one, but seeing on the net, most from Fishsandwich videos and others, theres so many other mods so i would like some enlightenment on this, because i got bored of the game itself and i would love to squeeze some more of the game.
I reckon that the Dytech and F-Mod are two different things, right? I remember watching youtube videos that even had an wooden axe, but on the last Dytech i installed (1.11), i haven't founded, only the normal iron axe... so is this a different one?
If someone could guide me trough this it would be awesome, i basically just want to enhance my gaming experience and play all types of mods, but its really confusing for now and i dont know what is updated and not or witch is a thing A and witch is thing B, know what i mean?
thanks!!

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Confused about mods.

Post by FreeER »

*moved to modding discussion since modding help is for help making your own mod, whereas modding discussion is just related to mods in general
fury wrote:I reckon that the Dytech and F-Mod are two different things, right?
Definitely
fury wrote:I remember watching youtube videos that even had an wooden axe, but on the last Dytech i installed (1.11), i haven't founded, only the normal iron axe... so is this a different one?
First, mods update so things change over time (especially large mods like DyTech) :) more specifically, not sure if it's been removed but if not it's probably part of the dynamic module now (If I recall correctly that module isn't updated yet).
Second
fury wrote:witch is a thing A and witch is thing B, know what i mean?
In later versions of Factorio you can see when you over over something which mod it's from (or at least which mods have made changes to it). If you're watching a let's play then I would highly recommend asking the uploader which mods they have and then going to that mod's topic (use the search at the top right). Also note that usually the first video of the let's play the uploader will mention which mods are installed. (if the video is old, see the note about mods updating...)
Third
fury wrote:i dont know what is updated and not
It's fairly standard to add [11.x] or similar to the title of the mod forum topic to make it obvious which version of Factorio it was last updated for, and if you download it and see that the zip has the version after the mod name name_x.y.z then you know it was last updated to be compatible with 11.x (since that's when a change to force that naming convention was introduced). Some mods can continue working for multiple versions, especially minor versions hence the .x, without updates if the update to Factorio didn't change how that mod works; so you can check the last few pages to see if anyone has mentioned that it works in the latest versions, or ask if no one has, or just try it yourself if you want a fast answer (remember the naming convention for 11+ though, mod-name_version both the name and the version will be listed in the info.json file if you extract the mod).

As for guiding you through this... there are so many mods I'd personally just recommend taking some time to look through the mods subforum and reading about each mod and seeing if it sounds interesting to you.

My apologies if that wasn't as informative as you'd like, perhaps someone else can provide a better answer :)

fury
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fury »

Thank you so much for you info.
I've been doing some homework tough, figure it out that the f mod was a miner drill mod at the beginning, but now its way more intense. Been playing the Dytech one, but i dont have much time to spend on video games, but look hella fun :).
Thanks!

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Have a look here for a list of mods. It's not exhaustive, unfortunately, but it'll get you started with a lot of good content.

Return to “Modding discussion”