[Resolved] Mod name help! "Automatic Ghost Train"?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Resolved] Mod name help! "Automatic Ghost Train"?

Post by Qon »

Need inspiration for how to name my mod
For a while, it was called "Ghost Train Auto-Auto Mode Mod". But it's such a simple mod that I think the long name isn't very fitting. And it wasn't providing enough fun to offset the length cost.
Check my signature for a link to my mod portal page to see how I have named my previous mods. Another example is The Mod That Makes Anything And Everything Better!

I want something that is funny or sounds silly when you say it but still gives some info of what it does. This new mod is just a tiny QoL fix that I want it to be a bit more searchable with just its name and not have to provide extra info in the title. "Automatic Ghost Train" is a bit boring maybe. But it might be ok with a boring name if it's descriptive enough. The mod is just meant to change a simple behaviour, to enable a "setting". It's not a memorable "product" like my bigger mods that people would really pay attention to. So something that is named exactly what it does and you would search for is also nice. Not sure the current name is that though? Like if someone asked for that feature and someone takes their question and pretty much puts !mod before it on reddit to have the reddit bot link it to them that's fine.
Mod portal description once it's uploaded
It makes trains placed by bots switch to automatic mode as soon as they have been completely built. And that's all the mod does. Works on straight rails only because that's simpler. Blueprinted trains contain the schedule of the train they were copied from and fuel (vanilla features) so it will join its siblings in whatever heavy hauling work there is as soon as it is born :)

You can now scale your train force automatically with circuit controlled blueprint placing mods like [Recursive Blueprints](https://mods.factorio.com/mod/recursive-blueprints) mod or [ConMan](https://mods.factorio.com/mod/conman).

This mod and this BP makes it possible to make a unique ID generator:

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

It's a tiny mod that only does a small check in the event on_train_created so its performance impact is absolutely minimal and will not impact your UPS at all.
Last edited by Qon on Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod name help! "Automatic Ghost Train"?

Post by eradicator »

"DoRobotsBuildAutomaticTrains?"
In allusion to "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?". Not sure if questionmarks are allowed.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

That's a pretty good one.
Blueprinting and ghost placement of trains is a pretty new feature so I don't know if people connect "Ghost Trains" with robot-built trains or if they think of something else first, like trains with no collision or something.
"Automatic Ghost Trains" have a pretty good flow and is somewhat close to what a setting in the options menu would be named if it existed. But it would probably be named more like "Trains built by robots start in automatic mode". And then your suggestion is actually pretty close to that while still being a bit of amusing wordplay. Your suggestion might actually make people understand what it does from the name alone better than AGT.

Still can't decide just yet but I thank you for your contribution. It's better than the (a bit confusing) name GTAAMM and probably better that AGT too. The more I think about it the more I like it. But I haven't read the book though so it would maybe be a bit weird to reference it q:

Any opinions and thoughts on any of the 3 names so far?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

The only additional comment that i have is that anything with "ghost" feels weird. Because your mod doesn't do anything to ghosts. It only acts after the trains stopped being ghosts.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Qon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 am
or if they think of something else first, like trains with no collision or something.
Happened to me.. and i was excited, so the real thing it does is kind of a letdown :D (still a nice idea though)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Choumiko wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:13 am
Qon wrote:
or if they think of something else first, like trains with no collision or something.
Happened to me.. and i was excited, so the real thing it does is kind of a letdown :D (still a nice idea though)
One point deducted from AGT then :)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:49 am
Eradicator won eternal glory!

Wohoo! (Care to link to my mods "https://mods.factorio.com/query/eradicator" instead of the post? I need more page impressions mod downloads :p!)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Resolved] Mod name help! "Automatic Ghost Train"?

Post by eradicator »

Thy deeds shallt be remembered when the age of the Hand Crank Generator Imperium comes. (Thank you.)
Qon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 am
Don't you prefer https://mods.factorio.com/user/eradicator instead though?
Nope. Because that shows all the deprecated and outdated things.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

Choumiko wrote:
Qon wrote:
Same. That is what I would hope for when hearing ghost train:
ghost_train.jpg
ghost_train.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Resolved] Mod name help! "Automatic Ghost Train"?

Post by csduff »

eduran wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am
Choumiko wrote:
Qon wrote:
Same. That is what I would hope for when hearing ghost train:
ghost_train.jpg
Oh, what a surprise. Ghost train guy wants to use a ghost train.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

eradicator wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:13 am
"DoRobotsBuildAutomaticTrains?"
When replying to a feature request for "Do Robots Build Automatic Trains?" I shortened the name. I usually try to avoid it since I put effort into naming things and enjoy having the full names spelled out, at least the first time in each post. But this time I was rushing and tired so I compromised. That's when I noticed that "Do Robots Build Automatic Trains?" becomes MRBAT (read as Mr. Bat). Which I thought was funny enough to waste your time with this completely useless trivia.

And I accidentally spelled 'robots' as 'roboys' but noticed it. But there's a mod by Bilka that renames them to 'bros'. Kind of a missed opportunity to rename them to 'Roboys' :)

Return to “Modding discussion”