Limit on mod dependencies

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Limit on mod dependencies

Post by badtouchatr »

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of dependencies you can specify in info.json?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Limit on mod dependencies

Post by Qon »

That's the number of mods on the portal right now. So unless you have your own unpublished library of mods then you are at least limited by the number of mods in existence.

I haven't heard of any such limit though so I can't really answer the question properly. Are you perhaps going to download all mods by using the dependency feature? :D

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badtouchatr »

Qon wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 pm

That's the number of mods on the portal right now. So unless you have your own unpublished library of mods then you are at least limited by the number of mods in existence.

I haven't heard of any such limit though so I can't really answer the question properly. Are you perhaps going to download all mods by using the dependency feature? :D
Lol, no, that would be craazeeee. I'm working on a mod that is trying to make as many other mods as possible compatible with it. Maybe that's craaazeeee too.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

A dependency will either force a mod to exist before you can use it, or force it to load before yours if you make it optional (question mark before the name)

For the most part, Bob's mods becomes as compatible with other mods as possible by doing 2 things.

1, Add as many entities and items to the game as possible in the data stage
2, Assume nothing, always check even for your own things.
3, use a dynamic system, don't just table.insert to add an ingredient to a recipe, check if it exists already, and increase the quantity instead if applicable.
4, Use or write a library to make all this easier.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Modding discussion”