Creep mod - Turret Target Control

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Armadous
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Creep mod - Turret Target Control

Post by Armadous »

I'm working on a mod that adds "creep" to the biters. Think Creeper World or Starcraft creep. My intention is to give the player a threat that behaves like a rising tide that strongly motivates you to build robust defenses.

I've got a decently efficient algorithm to spread the creep across the map using simple perlin noise however the problem I've run into is an efficient way to get turrets to attack the spread. The thing I've tried to far is to clone a biter and set its movement to 0 or scale down a worm and distribute them with the creep. The performance of this is obviously terrible.

https://i.imgur.com/hNXIY9m.gifv

Is their a more optimal API to interact with turret targeting? My immediate idea is to maintain a ring of "special" biter's along the advancing edge of the creep to give turrets something to shoot, which is very hacky.

Suggestions/Thoughts/Ideas appreciated.

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Creep mod - Turret Target Control

Post by mrudat »

What are you using now? Shouldn't a simple-entity-with-force be sufficient to make turrets attack it if in range?

Return to “Modding discussion”