[0.17.21] Mod feature loss: can't target indestructible entities with non-destructive effects

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.21] Mod feature loss: can't target indestructible entities with non-destructive effects

Post by H8UL »

Background:
Ribbon Maze uses forces and a custom simple-entity-with-force to implement its artillery-based terraforming.

This simple-entity-with-force is indestructible. In 0.16, the modified artillery would fire at it; the projectiles don't in fact do damage but have other target effects which are picked up by event handlers.

In 0.17, the artillery will ignore the indestructible entites and not fire. Only if I set them back to destructible will the artillery fire.

I can make the maze immune to each individual damage type, BUT this workaround has an unfortunate consequence for player experience. Players can now waste bullets on the maze and are not told that they cannot damage it. Given that they will be fighing in close quarters in the maze, it makes fighting more awkward.

Suggestions:
  • Confirm this change in 0.17 is intended and not a bug? (I can't find it documented)
  • If it is then I recommend it be documented -- took a lot of debugging to figure out
  • Improve friendly fire on LuaForce by allowing it to be set between forces, i.e. force1.friendly_fire["force2"]=false. Further improve it by having friendly_fire set to false behave the same as indestructible, for those forces
The improved friendly fire would replace the lost capability for me.

I also think the improved friendly fire would be great for many mods and multiplayer servers. Much better to get a hint above an entity if you can't damage it, than wonder why it isn't taking damage. And you could do interesting things in RTS, PvP and multiplayer co-op mods, if you could control indestructible/friendly-fire between forces in an asymmetrical way.
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.21] Mod feature loss: can't target indestructible entities with non-destructive effects

Post by Klonan »

Artillery target indestructible things was a bug, they would waste ammo shooting things they cannot kill

Moving this topic to modding discussion

Return to “Modding discussion”