Making graphical assets and story sort of legit...

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
gghf
Inserter
Inserter

Making graphical assets and story sort of legit...

Post by gghf »

Hi,

I'm currently writing a mod that seeks to introduce early game robots in a way that doesn't feel as jarring as any other mod out there. I want to do so by using a narrative around it, creating a quest chain and story to go with it. The art assets would also be very important and the closer I can get to saying these would match with official ideas of what they should look like, the better I could accomplish my goal of removing that dissonance I (and others have mentioned the same) you get when using mods that feel a bit cheatsy, even if they try hard to stay balanced.

To that end it'd be great if I could get a few answers to these questions (I don't need exact details, just a rough idea):

1. What was the life of our engineer before the point at which we start playing in freeplay? Was he an engineer before too? Was he maybe a criminal? Exiled? Or was he a father maybe? Is he even human, or organic at all?

2. What's the technology of his homeworld like? More precisely, what does it look like? Like something out of TRON? More like EVE Online? Warframe? Or is it steampunk too? If you were to put a piece of homeworld tech on Nauvis, would it have clean lines, what kind of color scheme would it have? Would it be rusted and perpetually look like it might fall apart? Would it be incredibly delicate, a piece of art, or would it look purely functional, or maybe militaristic?

I'd understand if you don't want to pin yourself down on anything, but it might still be an enrichment to the game if we had some sort of official lore, an idea of the place our engineer originates from, some concept art to that end too.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Making graphical assets and story sort of legit...

Post by CJ5Boss »

Right now most story mods come up with their own backstory. While I know you're looking for the actual lore, I don't believe there is any. The character in factorio can be whoever you want him to be. If you like, come up with an interesting explanation or backstory that will make your mod be what you want it to be!

gghf
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Making graphical assets and story sort of legit...

Post by gghf »

I agree with the sentiment of making a good story yourself, especially since there isn't really anything official at this time. I still decided to ask because for me, while fan fiction can be utterly awesome (The Factory Grows is possibly one of the best shorts I have ever read), it's still never "canon", as far as this might apply to Factorio, and in some respects that means the official story would win by miles. If you consider that my aim is to remove the cheatsy feeling from early game robots, you'll see why this is so important to me in this particular case. (If I was making any other story mod, I wouldn't really care too much^^)

Return to “Modding discussion”