Bob's mod pipe size counterintuitivity

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
shax49
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bob's mod pipe size counterintuitivity

Post by shax49 »

I had big problems mooving large quantity of liquids needed for large quantities of machines. I was using the stone pipes because they were cheaper and they have size=20. I never doubted if they were the best pipes, having the biggest size was for me a clear indication that they had the biggest liquid flow rate, as happens in reality.

Couldn't be more wrong. After trying flooding(heh) the system with pumps i searched on google and found out how counterintuitive pipes are.

The pipes with lower size have a faster flow rate. I think it's because the flow from pipe 1 to pipe 2 is related to how full is pipe 1, so smaller pipes=faster filling pipes=higher flow rate.
Maybe a description change is needed?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bob's mod pipe size counterintuitivity

Post by bobingabout »

The latest versions of the mod actually just make all pipes size 10, partly due to this issue, partly also due to size 5 causing what a dev once described as "Unstable simulation". (The fluid seems to ripple back and forth through the pipe)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

shax49
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shax49 »

bobingabout wrote:The latest versions of the mod actually just make all pipes size 10, partly due to this issue, partly also due to size 5 causing what a dev once described as "Unstable simulation". (The fluid seems to ripple back and forth through the pipe)
Yeah, I almost didn't made the post because i'm playing in an older version and i figured it would have been fixed. When you have a modpack that takes a long time to finish you end up playing outdated mods, constantly updating is scary if you have a lot of mods. The flickering of the fluid is noticeable, although not disturbing or creating permormance issues, and i'm very happy i fixed my fluid problems.

Didn't expect for the creator of the mod itself to answer, you are doing great work, thank you for the many hours you prolonged my factorio experience.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sometimes I'm actually quite active on the forums. I'm not actively modding right now, but I have source access, so this time I'm going to try and have 0.17 version of my mods ready before the public release of the game update.

And you know that feeling where you shout and swear because an update broke your mod, because the base game has changed something.
I'm actually writing one of those. Sometimes you have to break something to make it better. You'll thank me later. Well, you would if you knew I did it.

No details of what though, it's a surprise ;P
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Modding discussion”