Inserters stuck on items with stack of 1 (modded recipies)

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Gust
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Inserters stuck on items with stack of 1 (modded recipies)

Post by Gust »

I created a mod that adds a recipe that uses armor as an ingredient (for example, Power armor).
Then I use Assembly machine to craft my new item. The problem is that inserter always tries to shove at least 2 x "ingredient required in the recipe" into Assembly machine. But armor has a stack of 1... thus inserter is stuck and stops working.
This can only be solved by using separate inserter for "armor" ingredient and another inserter for other ingredients.

Anyway, my question: is this a bug or feature?

P.S. I initially thought to put this into Gameplay Help section, but that one is for vanilla only, thus my problem goes here.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserters stuck on items with stack of 1 (modded recipies)

Post by bobingabout »

Both.

it's a feature that it should try to put 2 of them in there.
it's a bug that the inserter tries to insert more than 1 if the assembling machine won't accept it.

now if the inserter actually grabs 2 at a time, rather than grabbing a second after inserting the first, then it's just acting strange.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

It's almost certainly not a stack size problem though, but a problem with the inherit stackibility of the prototype. I.e. each armor has a grid, and thus they can never be stacked becaues the engine doesn't know if the grid is empty/equal between two armors. Also damaged items (if applicable here?) never work in assemblers either.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

It's a bug thus.

Assemblers are meant to be able to cache up at least 2x the recipe value, to do so they may override stack size (or some recipes could never be built, for instance the nuclear reactor requiring 5 stacks of concrete). The assembler thus requests the inserter to push another armor in - but the inserter cannot do so because the item cannot be stacked -in the assembler- because it has a grid.

Return to “Modding discussion”