How much prototypes can factorio handle ?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
NooBxGockeL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How much prototypes can factorio handle ?

Post by NooBxGockeL »

Well, Hello guys and girls!

I am pretty intressted in the limits of factorio...
Thats because i currently develop MoarInserters within an Object Oriented way... so i can easily create thousands of prototypes with just 3 lines...

More Specific:
i currently develop a golden inserter where the user can decide from where the input comes and the output (including near and far side of belt) goes...
After some calculations and exclusions (e.g. input from x=0 y=0 makes no sense) i would add about 1104 entity prototypes...
Does this hurt factorio in any way shape or form ?

~Markus

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How much prototypes can factorio handle ?

Post by drs9999 »

Just test it?!
Would be intresting to see what influence it has on the loading time.

Anyway the approach with >1k prototypes seems rather stupid to me... Don't get me wrong it's not that you do it this way but that you have to do it this way.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

drs9999 wrote:Just test it?!
Would be intresting to see what influence it has on the loading time.

Anyway the approach with >1k prototypes seems rather stupid to me... Don't get me wrong it's not that you do it this way but that you have to do it this way.
By doing that way they can optmize some stuff. Things like having a single ticker for every instance of the prototype. What they could do is let us handle single instancing, but then, the developers need to work on vanilla and not spend all day long worrying about mods =\ I wish they did

NooBxGockeL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NooBxGockeL »

K Got some benchmarking up and running.
Due to stupid BB-Code not allowing tables, i'll outsource it to google docs, here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

just rough estimates, you can do benchmarking yourself tho, download link included in spreadsheet c:

Return to “Modding discussion”