Do you (mod devs) use verbose logging and the game helper methods?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Do you (mod devs) use verbose logging and the game helper methods?

Post by Rseding91 »

Specifically do you (mod devs) use verbose logging? It provides information that the game detects might be in error as well as things like redundant technology prerequisites. Also how widely known/used is http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaG ... anslations ?

Are there any other helper-like things that you think would be useful to add to the game either as verbose-logging or through some helper method?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Do you (mod devs) use verbose logging and the game helper methods?

Post by Nexela »

I would like to see an option to log only to the verbose log as well as a write_file for the data stage

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I have verbose logging turned on just for the sake of having it on. The mods I developed until now didnt need much in the data stage, so it has yet to be useful to me.

What does the "check locale" thing do? Like, what is wrong to it?

If in any way possible, a way to reload locale without restarting would be nice.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Bilka wrote:I have verbose logging turned on just for the sake of having it on. The mods I developed until now didnt need much in the data stage, so it has yet to be useful to me.

What does the "check locale" thing do? Like, what is wrong to it?

If in any way possible, a way to reload locale without restarting would be nice.
The check locale function checks if everything that should have a translation has one and outputs everything that doesn't to the log file.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Oh damn that sounds extremely useful. I wish I had known about that yesterday.... Could you change the documentation to include this detail please, otherwise nobody will ever use it because they dont know what it does
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Bilka wrote:Oh damn that sounds extremely useful. I wish I had known about that yesterday.... Could you change the documentation to include this detail please, otherwise nobody will ever use it because they dont know what it does
That's what it already says: "Goes over all items, entities, tiles, recipes, technologies among other things and logs if the locale is incorrect."

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

"Has a translation" is what you said, and makes me assume that it logs everything with an unknown key (no locale in the locale file). "Is incorrect" makes me wonder "what is incorrect?", which is why I asked in the first place and the reason why i didnt end up trying it out. I should have though, it would have helped me loads....

So maybe just change the wording like that?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:The check locale function checks if everything that should have a translation has one and outputs everything that doesn't to the log file.
Does it do this for all languages that have at least one locale file or only for the currently running locale? (Because you asked what other helper methods would be useful, and some way to roughtly verify locales without having to manually go the options menu -> change locale -> restart for every language would be pretty nice).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

(Not currently actively modding)
I don't think I've ever used it, but if I knew it existed, I might have.

I have gone through the log before and noticed it telling me about redundant technology prerequisites, and even removed a couple of them, but at the time, I was focused on getting the mods working, so didn't spend much time on that. then when I did have time, forgot about it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Modding discussion”