When should I publish my WIP mod?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

When should I publish my WIP mod?

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all,

I've been working on an overhaul-scale mod for a while now, and it's about at a point where I *could* release it. I've tested it to load successfully in 0.15 with no other mods, and through some play testing the first bit of it should work correctly. What I'm wondering is whether people would like me to release a current version (with a lot of broken features) to try out, or to wait a few weeks until I put in a lot of fixes before first release on the mod portal.

Details:
The mod mostly works on materials, parts, and production, although I have put a good amount of work into entities and useful stuff as well. I've done several hours of play testing so far, and it should be mostly functional from starting a world up to about basic electricity. This is actually a somewhat involved process with the changes in the mod, instead of the base game where you practically zip through your first electricity, research, mining, and automation setups. Anyway, because of my content focus (and lack of familiarity with the code), I've ended up with hundreds of added items, recipes, machines, technologies, etc., but not really any new control code. This should make it low on the regular sort of logic bugs, but it creates huge hordes of broken advancement paths, unbalanced costs, and all kinds of choppy gameplay. This is what I will be fixing over the next few weeks, and at that point I will likely post what I've got to the mod portal regardless.

I originally intended this project as only a personal mod, but as it got so large I thought I should see if other people were interested. Hence, I'm asking:
What do you think?
Any comments or questions would be much appreciated.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, I did not want to put it on the WIP Mods forum because I haven't actually published anything yet. Please let me know if this is the correct place, of if I should ask to have the thread moved.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: When should I publish my WIP mod?

Post by Veden »

Publish whenever you feel comfortable, it is free.

Know that people will tell you things are broken even if you tell them before hand they are broken.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

When you do; you should make a forum thread and set it as the homepge="" in the info.json

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Thanks for the fast responses!

I guess that makes sense about things being broken, people are people. I guess I'll publish it sooner with notices of "heavily incomplete", and people can do what they like. The situation is that I will likely have to re-name almost half of my extensive technology list, and while I can do that with find-replace, it's not worth writing a migration for half the mod so early saves will likely get broken.

I do intend to make a thread in the WIP mods forum when I actually publish it, but I didn't realize you could make a forum thread the homepage. Thanks for letting me know, I will definitely do that because I don't have a website or anything like that.

Return to “Modding discussion”