Possible to make some .14 mods work in .15? If so, how?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Darkmatterx76
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Possible to make some .14 mods work in .15? If so, how?

Post by Darkmatterx76 »

I've been playing a .14 game for quite a while now and I log in today to see that I'm now at .15 and some of my mods don't work. Is there a way to make them work, or to make some of them work?

Thanks!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Possible to make some .14 mods work in .15? If so, how?

Post by Bilka »

Which mods?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Is it possible? Of course it's possible.
How easy is it? Likely not easy at all.

It took me a month to update bobs mods to function properly with 0.15. (I did it in two phases. phase 1, make things work. phase 2, make things make sense)

There's just so many things that changed between the two versions. one of the points is a change to science packs (Mostly an issue if the mod uses alien science) which was in part caused by the removal of alien artifacts.

Basically, it will require an experienced modder, and a whole lot of time, depending on what the mod does exactly. There's also so many "Small" changes all over the place, tiny stat tweaks to pretty much everything everywhere, which is where the "Make things make sense" part of my update comes in.

Sure, your mod works now, but your upgraded ammo does less damage than the original ammo. That sort of thing.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It can be easy, you must just change the version in the info.json, or not and you must rework complete code. Just try first or wait for update.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Darkmatterx76 wrote:I've been playing a .14 game for quite a while now and I log in today to see that I'm now at .15 and some of my mods don't work. Is there a way to make them work, or to make some of them work?

Thanks!
Did you try the update mods function under -> mods?
Maybe your mods just need a new download.

But until you name your used mods we can't know.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nucleargen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nucleargen »

Most popular mods already updated on mods portal. You just only need to download them via ingame modmanager.
If some mods are broken - try to request update on mod portal or on mod's forum thread.
The brightest future in the center of a nuclear explosion...2003©nucleargen

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

nucleargen wrote:Most popular mods already updated on mods portal. You just only need to download them via ingame modmanager.
If some mods are broken - try to request update on mod portal or on mod's forum thread.
The best way is send pm to autor.
The mod portal and forum thread have not notification.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

darkfrei wrote:
nucleargen wrote:Most popular mods already updated on mods portal. You just only need to download them via ingame modmanager.
yeah, I pretty much ignore anything posted on the mod portal. half the time I visit the mod portal it tells me "# comments" then shows me none of them.
I also have a Patreon.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

darkfrei wrote:
Actually, forum thread can have notification by checking "Notify me when a reply is posted" below.
Also, the "View your posts" button is very useful here.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

If there are still unupdated mods; just unzip it, and edit info.json to set factorioVersion="0.15"

Unzipped mods have priority over the zipped copy so you can leave both around.
A few I tried (trucks, uhmm something else) were just that simple to get to work.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

d3x0r wrote:If there are still unupdated mods; just unzip it, and edit info.json to set factorioVersion="0.15"

Unzipped mods have priority over the zipped copy so you can leave both around.
A few I tried (trucks, uhmm something else) were just that simple to get to work.
It depends what they do, but yes, there are quite a few mods around that will "Work" if you just do that.

Other mods will fail because of alien science. You will need to find all references to alien science pack (and maybe even alien artifacts) and replace them with something else. Mostly find a replace alien-science-pack with production-science-pack will be sufficient. and alien-artifact with... processing units? (I think that's one the base game did a lot)

And that should be most of the problems solved.

Anything that adds a boiler or steam engine would need a fair bit of changes because of the whole system change. The way I did it was to compare the 0.14 boiler with the 0.15 boiler, then perform the changes to the mod's code.

Other things that might trip up are things like locomotives, instead of an energy_source tag (With type="burner") you now have a burner tag (with fuel_type="chemical"). Oh right, anything with a fuel value now has a fuel_type tag too. Most of them are chemical, but it's because the nuclear power system adds a new fuel type to the game.

Like I said, updating my mods took a month, it was a good 10 days or so just to get past this whole Error stage, fixing tiny details like this.

First step though, change the factorio version tag to 0.15, and go from there. you might get lucky and it just works.
I also have a Patreon.

Darkmatterx76
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Darkmatterx76 »

Sorry it took so long to reply but I had a sudden galbladder attack (a new thing for me) and needed surgery. :) Actually the surgery went poorly because my blood pressure dropped to 60 over 30 and they had to abandon the procedure. I need to have it done again in a month after I heal. Thanks to that, I probably won't get to go down south (from Canada due to insurance) to see the total solar eclipse on Aug 21. Something I've been waiting to see/happen in Canada or the USA since I was told I was to young to watch the one in 1979.

But enough about that, I wanted to thank everyone for their replies and post a new issue (if it is an issue). By the time I got out of the hospital I found updates for almost all the mods I was looking for and the few that didn't, were very simple and seemed to not mind me modifying the files to say .15 in them. Despite this, when I log into the game I get a laundry list of things that are removed from my game, including somethings that were updated. I'm posting a picture of the list. I may just stick to playing in .14 for now if there's no way around this mess.

Thanks!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Most of these are fine. The only things that might be "not so fine" are: You seem to be missing a "solaire" mod. Long reach research, single splitter and shuttle train also seem to be missing. The mod that added the express pump might be missing. Other possibly missing mods: Waterfill, some kind of loader mod.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

For the long-pickup-research and long-loot-research technologies, now you only need to install Long Reach Research as they have been combined into it. But you will have to turn on "Enable long pickup technology" and "Enable long loot technology" in mod settings.
It also includes long mine research technologies. ;)

Darkmatterx76
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Darkmatterx76 »

Thanks for the info. I was able to update the info.json file for Solaire Lites and it seems to have worked. To pick 1 problem at a time I would have to say the biggest problem is that even though I updated "Single Splitter" to .15 it still removes them. Oddly enough, the game shows a gap in the belts where the splitters used to be, but the ore keeps moving along as if there was a belt there and I cannot interact with that square.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Razorin/ ... /downloads

Thanks!

Return to “Modding discussion”