What would you consider as base components?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

What would you consider as base components?

Post by doktorstick »

Howdy. I've made a mod that increases the costs of end products by requiring more base components. This came about because I didn't like how Marathon changed fuel and the early ratios. I'm soliciting feedback and what should be considered as part of the base components. Originally, I went with:
  • Things defined as raw-resources (e.g., iron ore, stone, etc.);
  • Things defined as raw-material (e.g., iron plate, sulfur, etc.); and
  • Things defined as intermediate-product (e.g., copper cable, iron gear wheels, etc.).
Very quickly I pared down the intermediate-product list because it includes things like rocket control units, flying robot frames, and electric engines--things I wouldn't normally think of as base components, but I can be convinced otherwise. My current set of items defined as base components then are raw resources, raw materials, and:
  • copper cable
  • iron gear wheel
  • iron stick
  • plastic bar
  • battery
  • green, red and blue circuits
Note that base components are not scaled when used in other base components (otherwise some end products would take 68M copper ore :P).

Would you consider this list as the base components and if not, what would you add/delete?

Return to “Modding discussion”