Installing mods

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
bird2750
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Installing mods

Post by bird2750 »

I found a great and simple guide on installing mods on the wiki, but it's a little hard to find. So here it is:
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... lling_Mods

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Installing mods

Post by FreeER »

It should be noted that the images are only for the XP install (not Windows Vista/7/8, Mac, or Linux)

bird2750
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bird2750 »

Yes, but you can still get to it on mac with the same file path. Just right click on factorio in finder, click show package contents, then the data file is contents/data.
Hope this helps.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

How safe is it to install mods from an untrusted source? I read elsewhere that you can't make a mod to display the current (real world, not game world) time because it can't do system calls or something like that, but what can it do? As far as I know, Lua is a proper programming/scripting language, so how are mods restricted from doing things like accessing the file system?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

The modding environment in the game is safe as far as I can tell - There's nothing that allows mods to do arbitrary stuff with your system. Also, the mods are plain text so you can just look at their source code to see what they are doing.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Thanks for the answer. Still I wonder, what prevents anyone from doing system calls? I don't know much about Lua, but for example in PHP shared webhosts disable functions like `shell_exec()`. Are similar policies set for Lua (functions disabled by name), or is there another method of limiting what mods can do?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

luc wrote:Thanks for the answer. Still I wonder, what prevents anyone from doing system calls? I don't know much about Lua, but for example in PHP shared webhosts disable functions like `shell_exec()`. Are similar policies set for Lua (functions disabled by name), or is there another method of limiting what mods can do?
The APIs are disabled - trying to call them just results in "function doesn't exist".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Okay, thanks!

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

This is very outdated
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

olafthecat wrote:This is very outdated
Why are you necroing it then? The linked wiki pages are up to date, this thread is just old, which is you know.. normal?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Bilka wrote:
olafthecat wrote:This is very outdated
Why are you necroing it then? The linked wiki pages are up to date, this thread is just old, which is you know.. normal?
[Koub] Outdated, thus locked
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Modding discussion”