Mod Compatibilty for 0.13

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod Compatibilty for 0.13

Post by Arch666Angel »

I think it's a bad move to separate this forum from the modding board/discussions, splitting up the place for a community to gather is always a bad move, at least in my mind. And I hope that the new mod portal will be curated by someone or a team of curators/admins.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Arch666Angel wrote:I think it's a bad move to separate this forum from the modding board/discussions, splitting up the place for a community to gather is always a bad move, at least in my mind. And I hope that the new mod portal will be curated by someone or a team of curators/admins.
The mod sub forum may just go away once the website is live and working.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

Wow. Speaking as Plain Joe User. having to check two websites would be terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.
Did you even ask around, or consider the user experience at all, when you decided to make all mod discussions on a separate website? I get why you want it for versioning and distribution -- though honestly, I'd never use the site if the game has that built-in like you say... but breaking up your community hub is a train wreck of a bad idea.

How about instead, anything posted over there is automatically posted here, and vice-versa? Or, rather, the discussion thread on the mod portal is just a link to an auto-created thread here?

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

I, too, was rather surprised at the announcement that the mod section of these forums was going to be completely supplanted by the mod portal discussion system.

I had just supposed that the mod portal would work in much the same way as Factoriomods.com now does: linking the associated mod forum thread directly in the listing for the mod. That way all of the portal and forum functionalities are embedded nicely together, and we aren't forced to shift away from using these forums.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

silverkitty23 wrote:Wow. Speaking as Plain Joe User. having to check two websites would be terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.
Did you even ask around, or consider the user experience at all, when you decided to make all mod discussions on a separate website? I get why you want it for versioning and distribution -- though honestly, I'd never use the site if the game has that built-in like you say... but breaking up your community hub is a train wreck of a bad idea.

How about instead, anything posted over there is automatically posted here, and vice-versa? Or, rather, the discussion thread on the mod portal is just a link to an auto-created thread here?

You wouldn't have to check two websites, if you're an average user, and you want to download a mod, you use the mod portal, and also discuss, comment and talk about the mod on the mod portal.
The forum will only be for modding help discussions and ideas and requests

There is a large community of players who only use factoriomods.com, and they never check the associated forum threads. For those players this new system will bring them into the community, allow them to discuss and controbute to the discussion, which previously they would never have done.

The current mod forum is a huge mess, our mod portal will be a huge improvement

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Klonan wrote: The current mod forum is a huge mess
^^^^

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

Klonan wrote:The current mod forum is a huge mess, our mod portal will be a huge improvement
Also, searching on the forums is crap. I normally just Google "factorio mod_" so that I don't have to deal with the forum search blocking me after 1 search

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Klonan wrote:
silverkitty23 wrote:Wow. Speaking as Plain Joe User. having to check two websites would be terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.
You wouldn't have to check two websites, if you're an average user, and you want to download a mod, you use the mod portal, and also discuss, comment and talk about the mod on the mod portal.
Klonan, you seem to be ignoring all the other uses of the forum. 90% of the traffic here is not mod related.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sparr wrote:
Klonan wrote:
Klonan, you seem to be ignoring all the other uses of the forum. 90% of the traffic here is not mod related.
The forum will remain, only the mod upload sections will be moved to the mod portal,
All other forums will remain here

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Klonan wrote:The forum will remain, only the mod upload sections will be moved to the mod portal,
All other forums will remain here
Right. So, any user who currently comes here for mod discussion and non-mod discussion will have to use two sites, which was silverkitty23's original complaint.

When I design a green science factory in bob's mod, do I put that in the bob's mod discussion section of the mod portal, or do I put it in Show Your Creations on the forum?

Not integrating the mod portal with the forum is a mistake.

Better solution example: Steam Community Forums, where there are general forums mixed with game/expansion/dlc/mod forums, and the game forums are integrated with the library page for the game.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I very strongly disagree that steam can be used as a better example of anything related to community facilities. It's just an agglomerator of chaotic tweets where getting information is night impossible once hub bloats beyond the first month limit.

Though bob mod is brought up validly here.
Most mods, get maybe a couple of posts in a month and might be comfortable enough in the tiny tweet list, but certain ones, overhauls mostly, won't fit into such tiny frame.
Maybe, to keep a subforum for posts more substantial than "nothing works in mod" is not a bad idea.

I wish the most portal had a recomender system and modpacks as lists for automatic download.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Adil wrote:I very strongly disagree that steam can be used as a better example of anything related to community facilities. It's just an agglomerator of chaotic tweets where getting information is night impossible once hub bloats beyond the first month limit.

Though bob mod is brought up validly here.
Most mods, get maybe a couple of posts in a month and might be comfortable enough in the tiny tweet list, but certain ones, overhauls mostly, won't fit into such tiny frame.
Maybe, to keep a subforum for posts more substantial than "nothing works in mod" is not a bad idea.

I wish the most portal had a recomender system and modpacks as lists for automatic download.

Well the mod portal is still WIP, so if there is enough support for a feature and we feel it is worthwhile, we will go ahead and implement it,
But for initial launch it will just be the basics of what is needed

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

is there a preview mod-makers can see or sign up to in preparation for 0.13 release day?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

kyranzor wrote:is there a preview mod-makers can see or sign up to in preparation for 0.13 release day?
No, the entire game is a preview before version 1.0 right now :P

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Mod users should not expect anything to work in 0.13.0. In addition to zero time for the mod authors to fix stuff, the mod portal will likely contain bugs.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

I was referring to the mod portal, as there is more to fixing a mod and releasing it than just fixing code. If we can sign up to the mod portal site and prepare the release material/info/description pages with material and media etc this would be nice.

I was not asking for a preview of the game.

GeekinaCave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GeekinaCave »

First of all: Sorry if this don't belong here; but is the best place for get an answer.

I am planning making a mod which involves adapting Waitex HD pack in bobs mods; but now I have a doubt (besides the breaking compatibility):
0.13 version will use the same images and animations for elements in the game, or those will be updated too?

Thanks in advance.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I personally would prefer to use these forums regardless of if there is a separate system on the new mod portal.

A pre-release mod developers version of 0.13 would be useful, but I understand if one isn't available, at the very least, I now know that it will be released on Monday the 27th, unfortunately I will be at work that day, but will endeavour to make any required changes as soon as possible, which will probably be a day or 2.

Until then, I am actually making other small changes for 0.13.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

bobingabout wrote:I personally would prefer to use these forums regardless of if there is a separate system on the new mod portal.

A pre-release mod developers version of 0.13 would be useful, but I understand if one isn't available, at the very least, I now know that it will be released on Monday the 27th, unfortunately I will be at work that day, but will endeavour to make any required changes as soon as possible, which will probably be a day or 2.

Until then, I am actually making other small changes for 0.13.
I recently patch-updated some mods to test a save on 0.13 and the main areas that had to be addressed:
  • Remove require "defines"
  • A bunch of base game items/entities got renamed so if you reference them you'll need to update
  • The entity prototype type "transport-belt-to-ground" was renamed to "underground-belt" so you'll need to update your entities and do a migration for them
  • A bunch of entities are now connectable to the circuit network and as such have optional circuit network properties you'll need to fill in if you want them to connect to the network
  • game.get_player and game.get_surface are gone - use game.players[] and game.surfaces[] (in 0.12 they had an O(n) cost to access any single element now they're O(1) for each element you access
  • Module items have 2 new required fields (tier and category)
Really it wasn't that bad and took maybe 20 minutes to get the 10 mods working.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

0.13.0 IS the pre-release version for modders to use to update their mods, as well as for other issues to sort out.

Despite the hype train, those of us on 'stable only' release schedule won't actually see 0.13 for probably at least a month.

Return to “Modding discussion”