Best practice for new dummy buildings?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Best practice for new dummy buildings?

Post by Versepelles »

What is the best practice, or what are some good options, for creating buildings that will have behavior specified in control.lua and do not inherit from other buildings (i.e., not an assembling-machine)? For example, a dummy "deep mining machine" which can be placed on any land and creates random ores around it at specified intervals.

Some approaches I've seen are using the brown-asterisk and shipwreck decorations, but this requires modifying a number of rendering and layer properties. Is there a nice, non-functioning building/entity that could be deep-copied and then only need a change of name and graphic to serve as a dummy?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Best practice for new dummy buildings?

Post by bobingabout »

if they don't do anything, and don't require power... a tree, or rock entity might work.

if you want it to require power, there's a new entity coming in 0.13 that might help.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Versepelles »

bobingabout wrote:if they don't do anything, and don't require power... a tree, or rock entity might work.

if you want it to require power, there's a new entity coming in 0.13 that might help.
Thanks. To check a bit further, I think the answer is 'no', but is there any way to create a chimera prototype- say, add an inventory to a mining drill?

Sean Mirrsen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Versepelles wrote:
bobingabout wrote:if they don't do anything, and don't require power... a tree, or rock entity might work.

Thanks. To check a bit further, I think the answer is 'no', but is there any way to create a chimera prototype- say, add an inventory to a mining drill?
No, modular prototypes are apparently not a thing that is going to happen anytime soon. Sadly. Though you could probably request a particular feature that you'd like to mod in, once the current update cycle is done.

Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Versepelles »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:
Versepelles wrote:

No, modular prototypes are apparently not a thing that is going to happen anytime soon. Sadly. Though you could probably request a particular feature that you'd like to mod in, once the current update cycle is done.
Sad to hear, but the info is appreciated. Smoke and mirrors for the time being, then.

Return to “Modding discussion”