What Are The Limits of Modding Factorio?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Duton1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

What Are The Limits of Modding Factorio?

Post by Duton1 »

Hey All,

I love Factorio, but I would love to mod my own things in and hopefully share those creations with the rest of you. Before I dive into modding I generally like to know what the limits of modding a certain game are, as some of them have hard restrictions so as to not completely mess up the source code, some of them have hard restrictions just because that's how the game is coded, and so on. I've seen a fair few mods for Factorio and it seems as though the limits, if there are any, are pretty out there, but I'd also like to know first hand from you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Duton

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What Are The Limits of Modding Factorio?

Post by jorgenRe »

Honestly you are fairly free with what you want to do. Especially all the machines are possible to be created using mods. And then when it comes to scripting you also have loads of possibilities.
I advice you to go check out the wiki to see what you can do in lua, but be aware that in 0.12 lua interfaces changed so that words are split with an _
also it is good to check out how other people have done their mods as that also shows what possibilities there are.
So good luck ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

There are few limitations I have run into.

For example, it's not possible to build your own UI for crafting, or override the default UI of an assembler.

Other than that, you will need to spend time doing hacky stuff to do something rather than write straight forward code.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

kiba wrote:There are few limitations I have run into.

For example, it's not possible to build your own UI for crafting, or override the default UI of an assembler.

Other than that, you will need to spend time doing hacky stuff to do something rather than write straight forward code.
You sure are correct about that ;)!
Currently i'm sortoff hacking in my new surface with unique tiles(soon multiple different biomes)!
Edit:
But thats mainly to add new kinds of elements to the game.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

Kinda related, is it possible to modify behaviour / GUI outside of the game itself? That would be main menu and such.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

narrowtux wrote:Kinda related, is it possible to modify behaviour / GUI outside of the game itself? That would be main menu and such.
No. All of the core GUIs of the game are hard coded. You might be able to modify the styles by overriding them through data.lua (or a variant) but the actual buttons and text are fixed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

EditorRUS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EditorRUS »

You can't anything that is hardcoded.
Like this.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=14478

I've checked the entire wiki and I couldn't find any way to implement server-stuff using only lua.

Return to “Modding discussion”