Browser-based mod settings editor

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
costas_md
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Browser-based mod settings editor

Post by costas_md »

Inspired by credomane's JS-based library to edit Factorio's mod settings, I've created a web app that allows you to edit it in the browser, and download the file when done:

Factorio mod settings editor

Features:
  • Display all settings in a mod-settings.dat file
  • Breakdown settings by mod (for mods that declare them in their locale/translation files)
  • Translations for settings and descriptions (for mods that have that)
  • Edit multiple files at the same time
Let me know what you think

Original post: 59851

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Browser-based mod settings editor

Post by Amarula »

This looks pretty cool. I just dropped in my current mod settings to see. I am using IR (Industrial Revolution) and Production Monitor. I have K2 installed but not enabled. My only comment is more for mod authors than you: I can at least recognize K2 Turrets and Krastorio Translations, but one of the settings for Krastorio (guessing here based on the contents) is labelled in Chinese 垃圾汉化. The Production Monitor settings are labelled AkiGroup. I suspect that these labels are set by the mod, but it would sure be nice if I could pick out the settings I want to check by the name of the mod.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

costas_md
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by costas_md »

Thank you for trying it and the feedback!

So the mod settings files contain only the untraslated settings names, without any information about which does it belong. What I've done is crawled all the Factorio mods, and extracted the translations from them, so then I can tell which settings belong to which mods. Now, there are some mods that either use the exact same setting names by accident, or intentionally provide some translations. So it's not always possible to tell which mods do you actually have installed.

I'm working on an improvement: the ability to upload mod-list.json and the ability to manually select which mods you're interested in, so that you can hide irrelevant mods that happen to have the same settings as the big ones.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

costas_md wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:33 am
I'm working on an improvement: the ability to upload mod-list.json and the ability to manually select which mods you're interested in, so that you can hide irrelevant mods that happen to have the same settings as the big ones.
That is going to be very helpful, thank you!

costas_md
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by costas_md »

Try it again now

You can drop your mod-list.json as well as mod-settings.dat, and it will only show the mods that you have - and you can adjust manually as well.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Oh that is just what the doctor ordered! You rock!

costas_md
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by costas_md »

Thank you! ❤️

Return to “Modding discussion”