First mods to try?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

First mods to try?

Post by Jap2.0 »

I have been considering getting into mods lately, and I was looking for some suggestions. I don't want any giant mods (I don't have much time for Factorio at the moment, unfortunately :(), but I would like to see what everyone thinks. Currently some mods that I've heard of and am interested in trying are RSO, FARL, robot army, and orbital ion cannon.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: First mods to try?

Post by d3x0r »

These all add minor things that don't change the game very much... Bob's mods and Angel mods can both add more resources and things to craft...

Bob's Adjustable Inserters (Also needs bob's functions library)

Long Reach Fix (kind of a hack; Although having used it I find it hard to play without it); there are other long reach mods that offer researching longer reach and are more limited overall. Factorio Reach seems to work like long reach fix; (long reach has a setting for how far to reach, but the setting seems to reset every time you reload)

Factorissimo2 - gives you buildings to build subfactories in; can be an additional challenge to figure out optimal layouts in limited spaces; If the idea of 'it's bigger on the inside' bothers you, just consider that they're underground bases with multiple deeper levels available.

JunkRails - I like the trains a lot; but they take soo long to get to, I'd end up building belts stretching for what seems like miles of belts instead of laying out tracks. this gives you ugly cheap rails, and a really slow train to start.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not entirely sure about getting into Bob's mods just yet, does the inserter mod work without the new resources and stuff? Should I just get entirely into Bob's mods? How much longer does it make the game?

As for long reach, it seems kind of cheaty to just be able to place things everywhere. I will probably try the research one.

Factorissimo sounds fairly fun, does blueprinting factory buildings blueprints what's inside?

As for junk rails, I'll consider it but I don't really think I need them. Usually I can get trains and rails researched and being produced in large quantities before I run out of resources fairly close to my base.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Ya inserters is just inserters, not all the extra stuff.

There's bob's assembly machines that give a few levels of assemblers after mk3 and some specialized electronics assemblers that are slightly smaller.

Neither of those change recipes for crafted stuff or add rsources.

Factorissimo- yes you can place blueprints in buildings but the logistics network is in a different surface so you'll either need a roboport in it or a personal roboport to bring your own robots in. it takes a while to pick up a building, but you can also pick up a factory with all the stuff inside it and drop it somewhere else. (This is another thing people abuse in clever ways). One person was building their entire basse in 1 building, claiming it makes it immune to griefing in MP while offline

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

A few more things:

To clarify, the question about blueprints was that if I make a blueprint of a factory building with things inside, then place the blueprint, would the blueprint retain all the things inside the factory? If so, would I have to have robots inside the factory or would robots from outside put them in (like modules currently)?

Also, if bob's resources and ores aren't required for inserters or assemblers, which ones require them, or are recipes changed if you install them?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Squeak through makes it easier to walk around your base/lets you make designs, mainly pipe based, more comact.

Rampant AI makes the enemy smarter and more aggressive, if you want a more combat focused game.

I would avoid bobs mod, angels mod, or dytech initially, as they are practically entire expansion packs/partial conversions and can be difficult to get used to.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm not sure when I'll start but I've come up with updated mod lists. They are as follows:

First modded game Second modded game This doesn't mean I'm not still open to suggestions, so if you have any further ideas, let me know.
Last edited by Jap2.0 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

Look into Portal Research and Space Expansion for additional end-game content.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Hmm, I'll add them to the second list.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I saw the question.

Bob's mods adds a lot to the game, which is why it's split up into so many different smaller mods.

There are a few "stand alone" components such as the inserters mod, and the clock, and although most can be used by themselves (Like Electronics, assembling machines, and Modules), The recipes within the mods are dynamic, so to get the full intended experience, you need the whole suite.

Electronics by itself for example will make things a little more complex.
Electronics with plates (MCI) (Which needs ores to function properly) will cause you to require the new resources tin and lead just to get started(required by the equivalent of green circuits), and later quartz(silicon) before you can properly make electronics (needed for the equivalent of red circuits), brining the minimum required starting resources up from 6 (wood, oil, coal, stone, iron and copper) up to 9 (Adding Tin, Quartz and Lead).
It will be all but impossible to leave the starting area unless you have Tin and Lead, and very difficult if you don't have quartz.

Electronics is the biggest early game changer, as most of the base game recipes are left unchanged, electronics changing the recipes for electronics is the biggest change because a lot of things require electronics.

bobrevamp is one that attempts to change the recipes and even research order of a few things that mostly effects the later game. Key features include a whole new chain for rocket fuel, as well as rework to all rocket items, including the technology tree for it, and a rewrite of the oil processing too, mostly to the way you make sulphur, and splits up oil processing research itself so that you have to research mining, processing and chemical plants in 3 separate phases. (Chemical plants not being dependant on oil processing itself, as bobplates adds a chemistry chain that depends on the chemical plant too)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Cool, thanks.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I just started my first modded game today. Unfortunately I'm fairly busy at the moment, so I didn't get much past generating the map, but I will update this further eventually. I also updated the lists slightly.
Map Exchange String

Return to “Modding discussion”