Personal request: How to remove Coronal Mass Ejections from the Space Exploration mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Personal request: How to remove Coronal Mass Ejections from the Space Exploration mod

Post by Saphira123456 »

IRL, CMEs are just massive solar flares that function like EMPs, they knock power offline for a while and disable things like satellites. This means the CMEs in the mod are extremely unrealistic, highly overpowered, and require a massive power draw to defend against with the Umbrella. (You likely won't make all that power in time before it strikes. You need a massive amount of power storage - in my case, a hundred and eighty two gigajoules. No way I'm making that in time, especially early-game.)

Therefore, what I want to do is remove the CME damage from the mod and replace it with something else, like temporarily knocking out power to your power grid for a period of game time, forcing you to run off an uninterruptible power supply (read: accumulators) for a while. After that period expires, then the power production restarts automatically. (Also, any satellites you have in the game, will crash to the ground, but if you have meteor defense buildings, they will shoot them down.)

This is just a personal request, I'm not asking the developer to mod the mod for everyone. What I am doing I'm asking them to assist me in rewriting whatever they've done so that CMEs are replaced with something that doesn't require absurd amounts of power to defend myself from.

I'm also not going to republish this submod without the permission of the original mod author. Of course if they want to republish it with my changes, so be it! As long as I get credit for the idea, that's all that matters.
I am dragonkin and proud of it. If you don't like furries or dragons, tough.

Blocking me will only prove me right.

I love trains, I love aircraft, I love space, I love Factorio.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Personal request: How to remove Coronal Mass Ejections from the Space Exploration mod

Post by Qon »

Ask the mod author for a setting.
Modifying scripts require modifying the mod. Earendel is usually using very restrictive licensing with his mod so only he is allowed to publish any modifications to original sourxe files. Also if you are the only one to use the changes then that's a very big ask, you might need to offer a large sum of money for that kind of request. Modders work for free because they like to do it and because it can help a lot of people, by making a request for a mod that only you can ever use is not very fun work...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Personal request: How to remove Coronal Mass Ejections from the Space Exploration mod

Post by eradicator »

Saphira123456 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:11 am
I'm asking them to assist me in rewriting whatever they've done so that CMEs are replaced with something that doesn't require absurd amounts of power to defend myself from.
Asking the original auhor to help you butcher their mod. Interesting choice. Also Earendel is particular restrictive about balancing too. Just unzip the thing and butcher it yourself.

From my own experience with SE I think the CMEs are meant as a motivational device, to help you solve basic power production earlier than you would usually do, and smooth the later game. Personally I had nuclear researched about 12 hours before the first CME, and then took a very leasurely pace to build a 3 gigawatt NPP - it still powers my main base dozens of hours later (Nuclear is massively buffed in SE). Never bothered to build even a single accumulator. Just need to start the enrichment process early enough and heat up the reactors. If you time it right you need less than 10 fuel cells as the CME is 120 seconds and each cell lasts 200 seconds. Also imho even unprotected CMEs don't do that much damage, if you're unlucky you have to repair a few assemblers afterwards, never seen them do relevant damage.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

This is just a personal request, I'm not asking the developer to mod the mod for everyone. What I am doing I'm asking them to assist me in rewriting whatever they've done so that CMEs are replaced with something that doesn't require absurd amounts of power to defend myself from.
there's an option in map settings to turn them off. if you want anything more than that, you're not wanting to play space exploration.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

ptx0 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm
there's an option in map settings to turn them off. if you want anything more than that, you're not wanting to play space exploration.
This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Where exactly is this option?

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:59 am
I'm asking them to assist me in rewriting whatever they've done so that CMEs are replaced with something that doesn't require absurd amounts of power to defend myself from.
Asking the original auhor to help you butcher their mod. Interesting choice. Also Earendel is particular restrictive about balancing too. Just unzip the thing and butcher it yourself.

From my own experience with SE I think the CMEs are meant as a motivational device, to help you solve basic power production earlier than you would usually do, and smooth the later game. Personally I had nuclear researched about 12 hours before the first CME, and then took a very leasurely pace to build a 3 gigawatt NPP - it still powers my main base dozens of hours later (Nuclear is massively buffed in SE). Never bothered to build even a single accumulator. Just need to start the enrichment process early enough and heat up the reactors. If you time it right you need less than 10 fuel cells as the CME is 120 seconds and each cell lasts 200 seconds. Also imho even unprotected CMEs don't do that much damage, if you're unlucky you have to repair a few assemblers afterwards, never seen them do relevant damage.
I wasn't going to butcher it, I was actually going to try my best to modify as few bits of the mod as possible. And as for my choice, I really don't know how to code so I'd need someone who knows the mod to walk me through the process so that I DIDN'T butcher it!

And who knows the mod better than the guy who made it? Hence the reason for my choice of helper.

And TBH, all I really wanted was an option to turn them off. Someone else said that option is already there, so I'll go with that!

Honestly, people - have a little confidence in the new guy!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:56 am

Screenshot_20210803_203010.png
Screenshot_20210803_203010.png (120.81 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Screenshot_20210803_203000.png
Screenshot_20210803_203000.png (47.72 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Screenshot_20210803_202928.png
Screenshot_20210803_202928.png (40.94 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Screenshot_20210803_203140.png
Screenshot_20210803_203140.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 3576 times

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:36 am
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:56 am

Screenshot_20210803_203010.pngScreenshot_20210803_203000.pngScreenshot_20210803_202928.pngScreenshot_20210803_203140.png
Thank you!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:59 am
I wasn't going to butcher it, I was actually going to try my best to modify as few bits of the mod as possible. And as for my choice, I really don't know how to code so I'd need someone who knows the mod to walk me through the process so that I DIDN'T butcher it!

And who knows the mod better than the guy who made it? Hence the reason for my choice of helper.
Yea, but...that's like saying "I want to learn how to cook" and expect the worlds most renown 5-star cook to give you private lessons for free. That's just not how it works and shows a serious lack of understanding on your side.
And TBH, all I really wanted was an option to turn them off. Someone else said that option is already there, so I'll go with that!
Had I known that existed I'd have mentioned it.
Honestly, people - have a little confidence in the new guy!
Have a little confidence in the old guys when they tell you you're doing it wrong ;).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:46 am

Have a little confidence in the old guys when they tell you you're doing it wrong ;).
why? you talk about things you don't understand.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm

That was a little rude... But true enough.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 pm
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm

That was a little rude... But true enough.
Misquoting unrelated parts of a post together isn't "true". It's either dumb or malevolent.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:37 pm
Misquoting unrelated parts of a post together isn't "true". It's either dumb or malevolent.
it's actually board policy to not continue to clutter up each post with nested quotes. you only quote the relevant portions.

i quoted two things you said that contradict themselves. you don't have to jump in on every topic just to say people are dumb or evil. just accept you were wrong and move on.

Return to β€œIdeas and Requests For Mods”