Fuel burning rate

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fuel burning rate

Post by leadraven »

Hello.

I have idea to increase deapth of fuel management : add "burning rate" property for fuels. This multiplier will apply to power consumption and working speed of burner devices.
For example, currently power capacity of coal is twice that of wood. With burning rate 2, coal will burn in the same time as wood, but burner device will do twice as much work as it will consume twice as much energy.
Also this multiplier can replace scattered vehicle bonuses.

With 2 parameters - energy capacity and burning rate - player will have to choose fuel wisely. For example, solid fuel has higher capacity then coal, but might have lower burning rate. Rocket fuel isn't energy efficient, but it might have huge burning rate. As an extansion, coke made of coal might have even higher burning rate at the price of net capacity loss.

Does burner devices raise any event when new fuel item gets consumed, so script could intervene? I have nearly none experience with modding API.

I don't really know is this a suggestion or API request.

Thanks.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fuel burning rate

Post by Deadlock989 »

I don't think this is possible with the current API, or if it is just about hackable, it would be horrible. At the moment, the "burning rate" of a fuel is simply the fuel's energy value divided by the energy consumption rate of the machine burning it. The speed of the machine isn't actually factored in, which is why speed modules have a separate energy use multiplier and why if you want your higher tier machine entities to burn fuel twice as fast because they run twice as fast, you have to specify twice the energy consumption as well.

What you are asking for is essentially machine speed and energy use multiplier properties for fuels, like modules have, but a temporary effect based on the fuel currently burning.

There is no event for fuel being consumed or recipes being completed, and the crafting machine speed property is not runtime-writable.

I think when people want to do things like this they use hacks like spawning invisible beacons and what-have-you. Your typical glass sledgehammer.

Funnily enough, I have wanted the opposite thing in the past - I want modules that have durability and are slowly consumed.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fuel burning rate

Post by leadraven »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:22 am
I don't think this is possible with the current API, or if it is just about hackable, it would be horrible. At the moment, the "burning rate" of a fuel is simply the fuel's energy value divided by the energy consumption rate of the machine burning it. The speed of the machine isn't actually factored in, which is why speed modules have a separate energy use multiplier and why if you want your higher tier machine entities to burn fuel twice as fast because they run twice as fast, you have to specify twice the energy consumption as well.

What you are asking for is essentially machine speed and energy use multiplier properties for fuels, like modules have, but a temporary effect based on the fuel currently burning.

There is no event for fuel being consumed or recipes being completed, and the crafting machine speed property is not runtime-writable.

I think when people want to do things like this they use hacks like spawning invisible beacons and what-have-you. Your typical glass sledgehammer.

Funnily enough, I have wanted the opposite thing in the past - I want modules that have durability and are slowly consumed.
Thanks a lot.
I found this : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/burner-fuel-bonus
Yes, it replaces entities with upgraded ones with multiplied stats. :?

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”