Trains teleport between surfaces

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
drdozer
Inserter
Inserter

Trains teleport between surfaces

Post by drdozer »

Hi - I'd like to edit a game save I have to add additional surfaces, and trains that can carry materials between them. I have a nauvis map capped to 2k x 2k that will ultimately become purely a factory world, and I'd like to set up resource harvesting worlds with crazy biters and crazy resource depths, with trains that teleport from the edges of my manufacturing world to tracks in the starting area of these other worlds on other surfaces. I can see in the scenario editor how to set up multiple surfaces, but I can't find any mods or any mechanics to rout trains between them. I'm willing to write code if that's absolutely necessary.

adamius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Trains teleport between surfaces

Post by adamius »

Last edited by adamius on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

The idea of teleporting trains has been tossed about before: they don't navigate across surfaces. It's easy enough when a train is stopped to clone/teleport/whatever an entity, but while moving? Expect problems. Could make special train stations so when a train is stopped in one, it teleports the cargo to a stationary unloading train on a difference surface, or even special chests (lua side). Don't know how warptorio2 or the expansion mod for that handles it (they're covered under a "don't rip me off" license)

There's cave mods and others where there's linked chests, either one-way or shared. It'd be harder to do it while the game is running, but if you could figure out a convenient way to link and unlink teleporting chests (like a gui that opens a log of recorded chests) a lot of people might be interested.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Have a look at this mod
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/traintunnels

And as far as I know, the Redmew community uses a modified version of this mod in their servers. Try to ask them.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”