Mohole/borehole/deep crust mining

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mohole/borehole/deep crust mining

Post by starholme »

Introduces a new form of endgame mining and power production that is massively polluting, but can provide a steady source of materials.

I'm interested in helping with the mod development and design, but don't have the free time to do it all myself. I've already set up a github repo and wiki for the mod: https://github.com/Starholme/factorio-MoHole

Mohole
See http://kimstanleyrobinson.info/w/index. ... tle=Mohole for the inspiration. A very large, very, very deep hole bored into the planet's surface. Useful as a form of power generation and resources. Extremely expensive, extremely polluting.

Power: 10MW, Idle: 3MW

Proposed Recipe:
25 laser turrets
25 smart inserters
2 Substations
100 Explosives (gotta start the hole somehow, right?)
100 Steel
10 Alien Artifacts

Pollution: I'd like to see this be a massive polluter. Maybe 50 x Electric mining drill? That would be 450 pollution!

Placeable anywhere on land, does not need to be on a resource. Would be neat if it didn't produce anything for the first minute or so ingame, as it should take time to dig the hole.
Produces Lava: .1 seconds, 10 water -> 1 unit lava

Lava: Liquid rock pumped out of the Mohole

Crystallizer: based off assembly machine. Looking for a better name.

Same power draw as Assembly Machine 3
Recipe: 1 Assembler 3, 20 Steel, 2 Electric Pump, 1 Steel Tank, 1 Alien Artifact

Produces stone and hot water: 1 second, 10 water, 1 lava -> 2 stone, 10 water@100C This recipe should be balanced so that if you use all the lava a Mohole can produce, the hot water should be enough to power 1.25x the steam engines required to run the Mohole. This allows power production, with a waste product of stone.
Produces copper ore: 10 seconds, 1 lava, 1 copper plate -> 1 stone, 2 copper ore Produces other ores in a similar fashion(iron, other modded materials you could find in lava).

Technology: Mohole Mining Retrieve resources from deep within the planet's crust. Extremely polluting source of power and raw materials. Need to decide on research costs

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Mohole/borehole/deep crust mining

Post by starholme »

I'd like some suggestions on the best entity type to extend for creating the Mohole building. I have been thinking that the refinery might be best, as it already has liquid inputs and outputs. I'm also interested in any knowledge about building size limits. How big can I get? 10x10 tiles? 25x25?

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

starholme wrote:I'd like some suggestions on the best entity type to extend for creating the Mohole building. I have been thinking that the refinery might be best, as it already has liquid inputs and outputs. I'm also interested in any knowledge about building size limits. How big can I get? 10x10 tiles? 25x25?
I think is 12 x Y.
Max range of construction is 6, i think if you try to build an 13x13 entity, the player is a obstruction.

And the mod, i think is like F-mod with some changes

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I'm hoping to keep this a much smaller standalone mod than F-mod. Single clear purpose, only a couple items/buildings/etc.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

sounds to me like a reasonable mini-mod, I think this kind of thing, either from deep core mining or as others are investigating, asteroid mining, is inevitable and should be in the game eventually I hope.

good luck with the mod!

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”