[Request] Greg-Tech for Factorio

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Greg-Tech for Factorio

Post by donoya »

I would really like it if someone would dedicate themselves to making crafting recipes much more in depth and separate out the uses of the assembling machines to a variety of more specialized machines much like greg-tech did for minecraft in 1.6.4 particularly. I personally loved greg-tech for 1.6.4, but I know that there were a lot of people who disliked the level of complexity it added. That is the main reason why I would prefer for it do be done by someone very dedicated to this project, someone who will do it no matter what most people may think about it. Many thanks to whoever accepts.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Greg-Tech for Factorio

Post by LordFedora »

Try Bob's mods I believe, not necessary endless complexity but he strives for realism to a fault, meaning that every process is many step and as close as he can get it to irl

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

I have tried and enjoyed bob's mods, but it isn't quite as complex as I would like. I'm looking for something even bigger.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Please don't bring gregorians to this game. Enough trouble is enough is Minecraft. Let's explore this game in different directions!

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

You don't have to use such a mod if you don't want to. Also, I would prefer if people would keep this thread relatively polite. I know that most people strongly dislike greg-tech and that most threads for minecraft pertaining to greg-tech have been cluttered with messages of hate (maybe hate is too strong of a word?). I would like this not to happen with this thread if at all possible. (I realize that I probably should have said this in the initial post.)

spacesloth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spacesloth »

Personally, when I read the thread title I don't like the idea because I like Factorio because of it's freshness. I know inspiration will be drawn from Minecraft mods, just like inspiration for new games is drawn from Minecraft itself. But I would like to see mods for Factorio be as fresh as the game itself (which does draw some inspiration from Minecraft but is still very fresh).

Now I know I could just not use the mod and not post but I thought I would explain why some might not like the idea even if it has nothing to do with how hard gregtech was. It is that when I read about minecraft on the factorio forums it takes me back to a game I'm looking to get a break from rather than seeing what is new and fresh happening in Factorio.

I hope this post is not seen as angry anything. :)

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Is better if you can show some images and links, if can show what you want.
I don't know about this mod, but I think it can have a result not expected

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

L0771 wrote:Is better if you can show some images and links, if can show what you want.

I dont know if you want the Link for the Greg-Tech Wiki
But if so , here it is : Click

If not , then Ignore this Post :mrgreen:
Live your life like you want.
Mods are still Awesome , and i love Mods , for every Game.

Lov'in it.

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

L0771 wrote:Is better if you can show some images and links, if can show what you want.
What I'm looking for is something along the lines of machines that specialize in certain types of recipes (for example a wiremill: a machine like the assembling machine, but that can make cables at 5 per plate instead of the usual, yet is only able to use the recipes for cables). However, I would like this mod to have more than just the example mentioned above. Also, I would like to have the recipes be overhauled for almost every item in the game (for example, have the basic assembly machine require steel plates, inserters, and repair packs). But I don't want any recipes to be completely inaccessible, as I still want to be able to get the materials required to craft them (in other words, don't make the oil refinery require plastic if there's no other way to get it). I hope that clears things up.

jaxterity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jaxterity »

donoya, I have actually been working on a mod that changes the way a lot of things work actually. It isn't out or released yet, but I hope to release a first alpha version of the mod that people can try/play and test out sometime real soon. It revamps/changes the way recipes work along with items and just about everything.

It doesn't currently change everything but it will continually change and improve various aspects that I believe should be in this particular mod. It is really a overhaul mod that at current status is not compatible with mods that use default things like base game recipes. I might create compatibility mods that build into my mod in a way, we'll see.

Either way, look on the WIP mods section soon for my mod. Just figured I'd share all that with you donoya. If it isn't what you're looking for that's perfectly fine, I just figured I'd let you know.

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

I will look forward to the day it's out. In the meantime, my request remains valid.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

No thanks please no need for the Gregtech master race in here.
Community around here is friendly right now and i would like it to be this way in the years to come.

Edit: Just to clarify I was part of the Minecraft community from its earliest stages till quite recently and had my fair share of contanct with the people that preferably flock around "hardcore" mods like Gregtech and it was as spiteful and hostile as it can get something i was actively trying to avoid and hate to see happen around here.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

Keyalha wrote:No thanks please no need for the Gregtech master race in here.
Community around here is friendly right now and i would like it to be this way in the years to come.

Edit: Just to clarify I was part of the Minecraft community from its earliest stages till quite recently and had my fair share of contanct with the people that preferably flock around "hardcore" mods like Gregtech and it was as spiteful and hostile as it can get something i was actively trying to avoid and hate to see happen around here.
Why ? :D

Industialcraft² + Gregtech addon is very cool for minecraft , i like GregTech , it makes the Game harder and not that easy like it is :D

Lov'in it.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

The Problem i had with Gretech as for the mod itsself was that it is just counter intuitive!

You make the base game harder but then give a totally op device to make it simpler and just make the numbers bigger.
In the end all it ended up is to add more grind and tedioum to get to the same point you already had Thats not difficult its just grindy.

It added a lot of machines just for the sake of it. It tried to make things complex but not more difficult despite marketing itsself as a hardcore mod.

Its a totally wrong design direction imho since complexity has nothing to do with difficulty but often get mixed up where they should not (at least imho).

Adding redundant steps just to add complexity is just tedium and not difficulty.

I played with custom made gregtech based modsets and never understood how anyone could precieve stuff like gregtech or the likes as difficult.
Difficulty needs a possibility of failure which is nonexistent in Gregtech besides a reactor blowing up or a machine blowing up, which again is no failure per se since all it adds is tedioum.
Last edited by Keyalha on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

Keyalha wrote:The Problem i had with Gretech as for the mod itsself was that it is just counter intuitive!

You make the base game harder but then give a totally op device to make it simpler and just make the numbers bigger.
In the end all it ended up is to add more grind and tedioum to get to the same point you already had Thats not difficult its just grindy.

It added a lot of machines just for the sake of it. It tried to make things complex but not more difficult despite marketing itsself as a hardcore mod.

Its a totally wrong design direction imho since complexity has nothing to do with difficulty but often get mixed up where they should not (at least imho).

Adding redundant steps just to add complexity is just tedium and not difficulty.
Yea , you are right , but i like this Mod anyway , i think its the thing that it adds new Ores and Machines to the Game like the Chemical Reactor.

But GregTech in Factorio would be harder to make , Especially with all the Ores.

Lov'in it.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

Sorry i edited my post after you qoutet it. Your qoute was correct at the time you posted just to make sure no one says you misqouted me.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

Should i delete your Quote ?

Its wrong now :roll:

Lov'in it.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

AlphaRaptor wrote:Should i delete your Quote ?

Its wrong now :roll:
No thats fine with me i just wanted to make sure everyone know that at the time you did it it was totally correct.
The sentiment of it still stands so i dont mind if you let it stand as is.

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by donoya »

Keyalha wrote:The Problem i had with Gretech as for the mod itsself was that it is just counter intuitive!

I played with custom made gregtech based modsets and never understood how anyone could precieve stuff like gregtech or the likes as difficult.
Difficulty needs a possibility of failure which is nonexistent in Gregtech besides a reactor blowing up or a machine blowing up, which again is no failure per se since all it adds is tedioum.
I can now see why some people don't like greg-tech. Thank you for clearing that up. About greg-tech not being hardcore, you're definitely right. I was more aiming for realism for the technology. I really just wanted to make things more expensive(to a point of it actually requiring that amount of materials that would be required in real life) and make it so that the a single machine can't make 95% (I don't know the actual percentage) of the items in the game, because to me, the way it is, it's not very realistic. I just decided to use greg-tech as an approximation for what I'm looking for. Also, I personally enjoy complexity (which may be why I liked greg-tech), and that's why I wanted a similar mod for Factorio in the first place.

Keyalha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Keyalha »

donoya wrote:

I can now see why some people don't like greg-tech. Thank you for clearing that up. About greg-tech not being hardcore, you're definitely right. I was more aiming for realism for the technology. I really just wanted to make things more expensive(to a point of it actually requiring that amount of materials that would be required in real life) and make it so that the a single machine can't make 95% (I don't know the actual percentage) of the items in the game, because to me, the way it is, it's not very realistic. I just decided to use greg-tech as an approximation for what I'm looking for. Also, I personally enjoy complexity (which may be why I liked greg-tech), and that's why I wanted a similar mod for Factorio in the first place.
Well to a degree I can agree to that thanks for clearing that up as well. I think its a delicate thing to balance realism with fun gameplay at times. If it hits the right spot im all for it :)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”