Make a (Configurable) Set of Items Free to Craft

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make a (Configurable) Set of Items Free to Craft

Post by krlsmnk »

I don't want to play in creative, and it would be nice to have 1 mod that can make certain recipes free. A config file where you could add or remove items and when the mod loads it makes that recipe free.

My personal preferences would be for Roboports, rails, concrete, landfill, and power poles. I never seem to have enough of any of those things. But I'm sure other people would want a different set of items, so something generic like this would reduce the necessity for many existing mods.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make a (Configurable) Set of Items Free to Craft

Post by darkfrei »

Much easier than config file will be some constant combinator, that have signals with amount of items in your inventory.
The script can read this combinator and insert them to your inventory for free, maybe also to special passive provider chests.
Changing recipes can be done before the game starts only.

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am
Much easier than config file will be some constant combinator, that have signals with amount of items in your inventory.
The script can read this combinator and insert them to your inventory for free, maybe also to special passive provider chests.
Changing recipes can be done before the game starts only.
Only problem with this is I wouldn't have access to those items at the start of the game; I would need to unlock combinatorics. I also don't want to be able to change or modify the set of items once the game has started. Too tempting to just grab a handful of whatever is holding me up, and at that point I might as well be playing in creative. Unless I'm misunderstanding your solution; I don't really use circuit logic that often.

Also, I'm hoping the mod will be a new-ish user-friendly solution, not just a solution for me and my specific problems. Editing a txt file with items names is likely something most people will feel comfortable doing (speaking from experience with modded minecraft userbase).

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

krlsmnk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 pm
Only problem with this is I wouldn't have access to those items at the start of the game; I would need to unlock combinatorics. I also don't want to be able to change or modify the set of items once the game has started. Too tempting to just grab a handful of whatever is holding me up, and at that point I might as well be playing in creative. Unless I'm misunderstanding your solution; I don't really use circuit logic that often.
On the game start you get two entities: logistic container (it works as just chest without special technology) and constant combinator. If you has mined the combinator then you cannot set another items; if you has mined the container then you haven't free items anymore.
krlsmnk wrote:
Editing a txt file with items names is likely something most people will feel comfortable doing (speaking from experience with modded minecraft userbase).
Can you say internal name of red or blue chips? What about mods?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 pm
Can you say internal name of red or blue chips?
[item=processing-unit][item=advanced-circuit]
Will you give me a gold star? :) or maybe a [item=satellite]?
darkfrei wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 pm
What about mods?
The debug option "show-debug-info-in-tooltips" and then just grab the item-name or recipe-name from the tooltip, ezpz.

I'm working on a mod that could solve OP's problem. But I don't want to release it until it is perfect so it might take a while before it is released even if I have a working version atm. :?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm
I'm working on a mod that could solve OP's problem. But I don't want to release it until it is perfect so it might take a while before it is released even if I have a working version atm. :?
Gold star if you make a GUI where you just select the items in a menu and get a textbox with code ready to be copy/pasted into config.lua.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

krlsmnk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krlsmnk »

krlsmnk wrote:
Can you say internal name of red or blue chips? What about mods?
So what if you don't know them off the top of your head, or how to look them up from within the game? The .txt config file could/should contain the names for all the base game's items, and have them turned off by default. Comments in that txt file can help new people locate an item by its in-game name, even if the internal name is different. Then all they have to do is change a "FALSE" to a "TRUE", save the txt, and reload their game. That really is the level of difficulty you should be shooting for here.

As for other mods, a "How to" comment section at the top of the txt should be sufficient to instruct users how to find internal names of modded items, and add them to the config.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”