[Request] Electrical networks

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Request] Electrical networks

Post by vedrit »

An issue I've run into as I've been playing and expanding my base is that there are certain machines/areas that I want to run on on power source, and others on another, but the poles are so close that I spend lots of copper to rewire things, so....
Electrical networks. Using different colored wires, a single power pole can be used to carry wires that don't share power. Copper cables would also be it's own power network.
For example, the pole connected with the green cable would only be receiving power from whatever is supplying power to the green cable, the same being true for the pole with the red cable, and the pole with the copper cable.
To help with this, any entity that would otherwise automatically connect wires to poles/other objects would have to have that disabled, and by extension, have copper removed or reduced in the crafting recipe, since wires would have to be crafted and added by hand. I don't know if it's possible, but it would also be awesome if wires could be reclaimed when pulling down a pole, somehow detect how many wires are connected, and place them in the players inventory or something.

It would be handy to have something to allow the different networks to be 'bridged' some how, but I feel that it's secondary.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Electrical networks

Post by vedrit »

No one with coding knowledge and spare time want to take this? No one want to shoot down this idea?

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

I woud want something with more advanced features (3 phase, 1 phase, ground, ac-dc current, voltage, amperage, steam, turbines, alternators/dynamos, transformators, undergrond wires, "shock" damage, power loss, overloaded wires melting, etc.) that woud function more like real electriciy, not just running one wire evrywhere.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

I think it can't be possible for now, only can use entity.neighbours and this only shows copper wire connections.

But with this, all logistic stuff are useless, for this needs new wires and you haven't the limiter of networks.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

I think its possible it woud require some odd workarounds and require ~15 times more processing power. :? But it woud be so cool to zap a whole biter nest with high volatge. :D (hight volatge+small poles)

MagicLegend
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MagicLegend »

L0771 wrote:I think it can't be possible for now, only can use entity.neighbours and this only shows copper wire connections.

But with this, all logistic stuff are useless, for this needs new wires and you haven't the limiter of networks.
Why would logistics be useless? I'm trying to figure out a way myself to have stuff like new power poles and different cables, which can handle different distances and voltages/amperages. The only bottleneck for my right now is to disable the original powerpoles with their way to figure out if it's connected or not.

~ML
Very good at pressing buttons.

DerRichtige
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DerRichtige »

I think the Power system has a lot of potential..

what i would like to see is a Factori LVL 4 wich has an build in Power pole ... if you know what i mean

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

You can remove wires from the pole with "Shift + Left Mouse Click" and then add necessary connections by hand using the copper wire.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”