[Art Request] Color mask for fluid wagon

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Art Request] Color mask for fluid wagon

Post by Optera »

Hello dear artists,
I need an updated color mask for the fluid wagon to fix a long standing issue I have with my mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TrainOver ... 000bf9cc8a
When low quality sprite rotation is enabled the mask Mooncat made a while ago causes the game to crash during sprite generation.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Art Request] Color mask for fluid wagon

Post by Hiladdar »

I have a similar problem, adding color to fluid wagons. What I had to do in the end was tint the normal resolution graphics and use the normal resolution graphics for both normal and high resolution graphics.

My issue was when I included the high resolution graphics for fluid wagons, it increased the size of the distribution file to over 50mb and the mod portal was choking on it. By using normal resolution graphics the mod was down to 12.6mb or so and the mod mod portal did now have any issues with it.

If I can figure out how to tint the base game graphics from within .lua scripts, I do that lowering the size of the mod down to 1-2mb range in size.

I hope what I came up with an interim solution helps you.

Hiladdar

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Tinting is easy, but it looks ugly as hell.

Code: Select all

-- tint entity
data.raw.[entity_type][entity_name].picture.tint = {r=0.5, g=0.5, b=0.8, a=1}
-- tint icon
data.raw.[entity_type][entity_name].icon.tint = {r=0.5, g=0.5, b=0.8, a=1}
I'd rather create dedicated sprites for each color than look at what tinting does to entity sprites.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It would be nice if much more vanilla graphics use gray scaled sprites for entities. The wagons are very good example.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Unlike tinting greyscale color masks allow changing color in game.

It really feels like color masks should be used a lot more in base.
For example having color masks on assembling machines would remove the redundant recolored parts of their sprites.

yeahtoast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yeahtoast »

I would absolutely love a real vanilla fluid wagon color mask. Given that the devs might be trending in the direction of using more color masks (see FFF 311 and the train stop remains), would it be a stretch to have one for fluid wagons implemented as well?

yeahtoast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yeahtoast »

...so I got tired of waiting for an official fluid wagon color mask and have spent the better part of today creating one. I've more or less finished 2 of the 128 sprite rotations (pure horizontal and vertical) and I think they look pretty damn good.

20200223184437_1.jpg
20200223184437_1.jpg (657.1 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
20200223184410_1.jpg
20200223184410_1.jpg (670.19 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
As you can see, the angled fluid wagon in purple is only partially finished. The remaining angled sprites are naturally more difficult/tedious, so it's gonna take a little bit of time to finish this effort.

Currently I'm using a personal fork of the Wagon Colors mod to test them (which is itself a fork of a refresh of a 0.15 mod.) Because of this I'm thinking of creating a fluid wagon-only fork of that functionality as a standalone mod. Any objections?
Last edited by yeahtoast on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Looking very good so far.
Will you release only the color mask or include the whole trickery required to copy colors between stops, locomotives and wagons?

yeahtoast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yeahtoast »

Provided the license isn't an issue, I'd prefer to port the functionality for simplicity's sake. If that's not possible, I'll just upload the png files.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

yeahtoast wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 pm
Provided the license isn't an issue, I'd prefer to port the functionality for simplicity's sake. If that's not possible, I'll just upload the png files.
The code is hardly even worth licensing. I used LGPL3 since that's what mooncat released his color picker and with it the masks.

Since the masks are a lot of work I'd recommend using CC-BY-SA for it, but it's up to you how restrictive you want to get with your work.

yeahtoast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yeahtoast »

Mod has been released!

Unfortunately it's incompatible with Wagon Colors (and anything that uses Mooncat's mask) due to the way the mask graphics overlap if simultaneously enabled. Thus, I've ported the functionality of that mod into this one.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

yeahtoast wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:26 pm
Mod has been released!

Unfortunately it's incompatible with Wagon Colors (and anything that uses Mooncat's mask) due to the way the mask graphics overlap if simultaneously enabled. Thus, I've ported the functionality of that mod into this one.
Yeah no problem. It should be either the old one or yours anyway.
You seem to have ported all the prototype shenanigans allowing colors to be copied between locos and wagons. I can just redirect Train Overhaul to use Fluid Wagon Color Mask instead of Wagon Colors.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”