New Music Mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Eddyster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New Music Mod

Post by Eddyster »

Hello all,

I'm new to the factorio forums but have supported for the game for a long time, and thought it a good time to contribute to the community. Hello factorio community! :geek:

My day job is as a composer/producer and, listening to the factorio soundtrack as it is, I wondered if anyone in the modding community would help me put a music mod pack together so there's a little more variety available if people want it. Is this a possibility with the current modding capabilities? Forgive my technical ignorance!

Currently I'm thinking of putting in some pseudo-industrial, maybe techno/ambient stuff a bit like this sort of thing as it's what I hear in my head when playing. These are from my back catalog, but it would be nice to write some new stuff too. I'd have to make these older ones longer by looping sections etc but that's the easy bit - I just need help getting them into the game!

If anyone knows if its possible or how to do (maybe there's a dead obvious link I'm missing) it I'd greatly appreciate the help. Ideally someone who could guide me into doing it!

Thanks

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New Music Mod

Post by cartmen180 »

sound can be modded, but i don't know any mods that actually do that :p
But if you make some nice tracks i am sure someone will mod it in.
Check out my mods

Eddyster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eddyster »

Ok, good to know it can be done, thanks. Now I ideally just need someone who knows modding fairly well and might be interested in helping. I'm happy to get going by myself but have no idea where to start!

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

i would love to help but am incredibly busy atm.
Check out my mods

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

I don't think that you can add new music via modding, because all ambient music is stored in core.

That being said adding new tracks into core/sound/ambient might work, but will break the in-game updater

Eddyster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eddyster »

Hmm that's a bummer - I might drop the dev's a line about it in that case, see if there's some workaround that might be usable.

If anyone else has any other tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

If you drop an .ogg into the ambient folder I would think that it should play in game, shouldn't it?

I did so and will update if I hear it.

Eddyster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eddyster »

xnmo wrote:If you drop an .ogg into the ambient folder I would think that it should play in game, shouldn't it?

I did so and will update if I hear it.
That would be fortuitously simple! Let me know if it works!

rtssmkn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rtssmkn »

Ambient sounds, like all sounds are hard coded in the lua data files, for ambient sounds this is base/prototypes/ambient-sounds.lua. As such they cannot be discovered dynamically.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

There's the Original Music HD mod that adds in "remastered" versions of the pre-0.12 ambient music into the game. Looking at the data.lua, ambient music seems to have this format:

Code: Select all

data:extend(
{
  {
    type = "ambient-sound",
    name = "name-here", --title of track?
    track_type = "something", --I have no idea what this is for. Original Music HD has 'main-track' and 'early-game' here.
    sound =
    {
      filename = "directory" --straightforward
    }
  }
}
)

kayobro123
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kayobro123 »

Hey, I don't know if you have already done this but if you want I can put some of your music into Factorio. I have already added some of my fav songs too.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”