Research system without science packs..?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
ajlajlajl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Research system without science packs..?

Post by ajlajlajl »

Hi
I've been playing Factorio now for a while, and with bob mods too (i think its way better than vanilla).
I think there's this thing that can be done to game to make it more real, and challenging.

>> Stop using science packs.
Science pack is a good way to simplify research system, but it get boring/stupid and not challenging after you build the required factories to make science packs, then all you have to do is keep your PC on running the game, BOOM, all researches done. It think its not engaging enough. (at least for someone like me who is more building mania than surviving maniacs).
So, how to make it more interesting?
I think instead of just increasing the numbers (need more packs for researches/recipes/..) we can change the resource for researches. like each technology research needs different resources, related to its recipe/s. like,
to research "Stone walls" provide 10 "stone brick".
to research "Steel Processing" provide 100 "Iron plate".
to research next level "Logistics" provide 200 of previous level "Transport belt" and "Inserter".
to research "Automobilism" provide 400 "Iron plate", 100 "Steel plate" and 40 "Engine unit".
and so on and so forth.
You see the idea is, you need a few engines, steels, irons to invent a Car, right?
I know it'll make transporting resource to Research labs a mess. but that is exactly the idea, make it a mess, let players solve it using logistics/robots/circuits. Worst case scenario, we can make it less painful by requiring less resource types per technology research.

I know this idea may be too immature, or have some problem implementing, but i think its worth working on it.
So I would like to hear your opinions, suggestions about this.
Maybe someone is bored enough to work on it :roll: ( I'm a developer too (JS,C++) but i really dont like lua :cry: , but if it get to coding ithink i can help )
Good luck and cya
:|

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Research system without science packs..?

Post by bobingabout »

ajlajlajl wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 am
I've been playing Factorio now for a while, and with bob mods too (i think its way better than vanilla).
Thank you!

As for your idea, I do like the idea of a technology using materials to research similar to what they require to build. Look at my modules lab, that was the attempt with that.

Unfortunately, the game engine isn't well suited to do that sort of thing.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

ajlajlajl wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 am
I think instead of just increasing the numbers (need more packs for researches/recipes/..) we can change the resource for researches. like each technology research needs different resources, related to its recipe/s. like,
to research "Stone walls" provide 10 "stone brick".
to research "Steel Processing" provide 100 "Iron plate".
to research next level "Logistics" provide 200 of previous level "Transport belt" and "Inserter".
to research "Automobilism" provide 400 "Iron plate", 100 "Steel plate" and 40 "Engine unit".
and so on and so forth.
>to research "Stone walls" provide 10 "stone brick"
I can make one "stone-science-pack" from 10 "stone-brick"

>to research "Steel Processing" provide 100 "Iron plate",
10x "iron-science-pack" from 100x "iron-plate".

Is it what you will? More or less same technologies were by old good DyTech.

_npo6ka_
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _npo6ka_ »

You can add a building that will make the recearch available for study.
For example, in order to make a stone wall available for study, you need to buy this recearch for 10 stone bricks.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”