[REQ] Research management through circuit network

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Master-Guy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[REQ] Research management through circuit network

Post by Master-Guy »

I'd like to ask someone to make a small mod for my community.

Basically, it's an item that allows research to be managed by signals on a circuit network, and also shows the progress of that research.
I've been looking around in the API, but I cannot find a way of starting a specific research based on a number or something like that. It is all based on the name of the technology. This might make my idea a bit less intuitive, but perhaps you know a way of getting this to work.

The basic idea is to add an item with a cheap recipe cost. This item (when constructed) will output the following signals:
- R, with a number based on the technology index
- P, the progress in procents/promilles of the research
- L, the level of the research (if applicable)

Then a 2nd item is added with a less but still cheap recipe cost. This item (when constructed) will read the input signals R and L, to determine what research needs to be started.
Finally, a GUI should be made that shows the conversion between the index numbers and the localized name of the technology so that users can understand, read and control the research.

Please note: The "regular" research screen should not be able to start any research.

The idea behind this idea, is that we want to set up a completely automated base, including the research, as a custom scenario.
If I might have missed an existing mod, please let me know.. I did search for something like this, but could not find anything.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [REQ] Research management through circuit network

Post by DaveMcW »

Would it be easier to use the research queue mod? Just add every tech to the queue for fully automated research.

Please note: The "regular" research screen should not be able to start any research.
Use /permissions to disable "start research" and "cancel research".

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [REQ] Research management through circuit network

Post by Qon »

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/canidae/auto-research is another alternative. It automates research starting as its default behaviour.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FactorIO adds several thcombinators that enables reading of more signals. One of those is a research progress combinator.
Haven't seen any combinators that can start research selected from a signal though.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”