More complex electricity?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
drachma
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

More complex electricity?

Post by drachma »

Anyone know if it is even possible to mod the way the electrical network behaves in this game?

I would be interested in making the electrical network a more complex simulation, with effects like transmission loss. I think it would make for some nice looking structures and force the player to actually put thought into their electrical structures - need more than one transmission line to get very high power to a factory, or placing substations before/after long power runs to transform from high transmission voltages to usable low voltage. Does such a mod already exist?

AFAIK electricity in this game is an extremely simplistic sim, all power is added to one pool (per network of course) and transmitted instantaneously and losslessly to anywhere on the network. One small power pole could transmit the load from a 10GW power plant to the rest of the factory!

I imagine it would add computation time on par with using fluids, but is it even possible to change this part of the game in such a fundamental way?

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More complex electricity?

Post by ownlyme »

mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: More complex electricity?

Post by eradicator »

drachma wrote:I imagine it would add computation time on par with using fluids, but is it even possible to change this part of the game in such a fundamental way?
The built-in electricity simulation can not be altered by mods. It also has been optimized several times and lost some moddability in the progress. So that's definetly not going to change.

The mod above as far as i can tell from a quick look implements a completely new electricity mechanic in lua, by using accumulators as "power poles". The screenshots also show that it's not using copper cables. Meaning it's almost certainly doing lua-based power transfer. Which while allowing you to do custom stuff, will not have good performance, so it would only be usable in small to med sized factories.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”