Having more worlds

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
LUF2K14
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Having more worlds

Post by LUF2K14 »

Hi once again ...
i have playing a while now my newest sandbox without cheating everything from scratch waiting and waiting but the resources are just going way to fast to acomodate my requirements and space to and i thought ' what if we could have multiple surfaces like one for factories another 2 or 3 for mining huge spots of minerals ... it could be awesome ' then i search on internet but no luck whatovever and thats why im requesting a mod to be able to do everything with/out player interation becuase moving 400k of copper ores from one warehouse (btw i have the warehouse mod and change stacks mod really helpfull) to another on the another surface

thanks in advance ...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Having more worlds

Post by bobingabout »

Moving surfaces is a pain. I had to actually write in extra code in a mod recently (as a bugfix) to account for moving surfaces, because for some reason it wasn't accounted for automagically.

From what I know about surfaces though, they're treated as an entirely new map, and unlike the starting surface, there are no rules for it. (You have to write them yourself)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

LUF2K14
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LUF2K14 »

bobingabout wrote:Moving surfaces is a pain. I had to actually write in extra code in a mod recently (as a bugfix) to account for moving surfaces, because for some reason it wasn't accounted for automagically.

From what I know about surfaces though, they're treated as an entirely new map, and unlike the starting surface, there are no rules for it. (You have to write them yourself)
yeah but thats fine i just want to have multiple surfaces so i can do like factories floors

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:Moving surfaces is a pain. I had to actually write in extra code in a mod recently (as a bugfix) to account for moving surfaces, because for some reason it wasn't accounted for automagically.
Even thinking about it for a few minutes i can't come up with a meaningful interpretation of "moving surfaces". Renaming? Moving items/entities between surfaces? Mind torture :P.
bobingabout wrote:From what I know about surfaces though, they're treated as an entirely new map, and unlike the starting surface, there are no rules for it. (You have to write them yourself)
"Surfaces" aren't some magic mod-only special concept. They work just like the one you get for free (=nauvis) when when you start a new map, there's just no GUI for the generator settings. But there's no need to write your own terrain generator.

@OP:
Sounds like you want mining dimensions like in minecraft. Though one should be enough. Also one would need to come up with a very good explanation on how the minerals get "teleported" to your base (magic mods for factorio don't seem to be very popular). Didn't factorissimo have support for mining in buildings? Teleporting small amounts of stuff around is pretty meh for performance, but i guess if you teleported large amounts with a large delay it could be feasible. But most people just build trains for the same effect.

Also just remembered: viewtopic.php?t=19178

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eradicator wrote:
Even thinking about it for a few minutes i can't come up with a meaningful interpretation of "moving surfaces". Renaming? Moving items/entities between surfaces? Mind torture :P.
to be specific...
my classes mod. Player character entity you're currently connected to is on surface 1. Second player character entity you're not connected to on surface 2. setting player.character = character2 will cause a crash, because they're not on the same surface. You first need to disconnect the player, then teleport the player to surface 2, then connect it to character 2.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Godmave »

Just throwing this here, don't know if it exactly hits the topic, but it at least has to do with having multiple surfaces and moving stuff (and the player) between them.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Surfaces_remake

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”