Modifications to Angel's mods with several addons

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Modifications to Angel's mods with several addons

Post by septemberWaves »

I'm playing with an interesting modlist including all of AAI, Angel's, and Bob's mods. I'm also using MadClown01's addons to Angel's mods, Extended Angels, and a late-game mod called Moon Rock. There are quite a lot of things that I like about this mod list, but there are some tweaks that I want as well, listed as follows:

1) I want to remove the recipe for the satellite added by Angel's mods, effectively removing the satellite from existing in a survival game entirely. The replacement is two tiers of Space Drill from the Moon Rock mod, for which I want to balance (increase the complexity of) the recipes to fit in better with Angel's Mods.

2) The Moon Rock mod returns moon rock rather than space science packs from rockets. By default, this is crafted rather simply into space science packs. I want to change this so that moon rock is treated somewhat like an ore from Angel's Mods, returning various metal ores via Angel's ore processing chain (probably with more chemical complexity for refining purposes) as well as some specific substance (not sure what yet, maybe "regolith" or something) that will be one of the components for space science. The second tier space drill I may actually have return asteroid rock instead of moon rock (for which I will need to add a custom item) which produces a slightly different set of products meaning players will need to launch rockets for both types of space drill at once. Among the metal ores that I want to add from moon rock and asteroid rock are iridium and neodymium (for which I have several uses in mind).

3) MadClown01's addons modify science production methods. I want to modify them further, since the various additional science pack recipes that it adds aren't always of comparable cost, and generally it seems that one recipe for each science pack is far better than the others. So I want to tweak these recipes so that the same tier of science pack always seems to be of similar difficulty to produce (and most variation in practicality should just depend on how each factory is built, rather than having one recipe be clearly superior to every other), while retaining the general idea of giving players a variety of options for crafting science packs. Alternatively, I may make the most resource-intensive recipe for a science pack available as soon as that science pack would ordinarily be unlocked, and modify the technology tree to unlock cheaper recipes at higher tiers of progression.

4) Another thing MadClown01 does with science is adding particle accelerators. These generate science packs with a random chance. I like this idea and would not wish to change it, but the recipes of the particle accelerators seem massively cheap for what they do (and indeed for what they are). Currently it is possible to use a particle accelerator to generate space science having only launched a single rocket, which also seems unbalanced to me. As an alternative, I want to gate both particle accelerators behind space, using the materials (neodymium and iridium) that can be obtained exclusively from space.

I plan on making a mod to add these modifications for my own use (likely during this summer, after my exams are over); what I am wondering is whether anyone else would be interested in using it. If so, I'll publish it on the mod forum when I make it (although don't expect anything soon; I have exams for the next few months and after that I'll need to learn how to make a Factorio mod before I can actually do so).

I am also interested if anyone has any suggestions for other modifications that may make sense to include among these changes that I plan to make (though anything which is intended to make Angel's mods function more simply than they are intended will be ignored; the intention here is expanding complexity).

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”