[Request] Small, circuit-wire-only power poles.

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Small, circuit-wire-only power poles.

Post by McDuff »

When I'm making circuits, it would sometimes be really nice to have a little input or output post for sections that I could label up as "put the input here."

You can use power poles for this but they create copper power lines which can be annoying, and also visually clutter up the space, especially if you are placing them below a combinator layout.

Would anyone be interested in making a visually small, non-power version of a pole that doesn't provide visual clutter but just acts as a convenient "attach signal wires here" point?

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Small, circuit-wire-only power poles.

Post by Aeternus »

You can shift leftclick a power pole to remove all wires from it, including the copper ones. If you want to draw specific copper wires (to switches for instance) you can fabricate some copper wire to do that.

Not what you asked, but a workaround for it :)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It can be added, just remove all wires by pole placing.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Yes I know you can do that. It's a pole that's *graphically* small that I'm after. If you stick a power pole on the bottom edge of a combinator row, it overlaps all the combinators visually, obscuring some of the wires.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Define "visually small", in terms of game tiles, please. Does it even have to be a "pole"? Some sort of 1x1 copper connector?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Try this mod:
2018-04-15 13_41_58-Factorio 0.16.36.png
2018-04-15 13_41_58-Factorio 0.16.36.png (23.38 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
ConnectionBox_0.0.1.zip
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
code
Last edited by darkfrei on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I had a little poke around and there are issues. You can't independently define circuit wire distance and copper wire distance, so a power pole entity must have either both or neither. If it has copper wires, you can't stop them being drawn while the entity is in your active hand during placement, you can only do what darkfrei's mod above does which is automatically disconnect the entity after it's been built.

What you'd need is some other entity that doesn't have copper wires at all but does support circuit networks and doesn't do anything "off the shelf" in terms of changing any signals, like a lamp or a constant combinator. At which point you may as well just use a lamp or a constant combinator.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

darkfrei wrote:Try this mod:
2018-04-15 13_41_58-Factorio 0.16.36.png
ConnectionBox_0.0.1.zip
code
That looks great! I'll try it :D

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

I agree with this request.

You don't need copper wires for electric poles to read circuit network contents. And the auto-connect electric poles is annoying when trying to manage where power is and just creates clutter. I know you can remove all wires but its tedious after awhile, then you have the no electricity alert for poles that essentially don't need electricity.

It would be nice if the base game offered a 'small circuit pole' variant of the 'small electric pole'. For bigger stuff there's lots of mods that do wireless transmission.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Why not https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConnectionBox ?

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 pm
MakeItGraphic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Why not https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConnectionBox ?
Yeah not sure why I didn't look there for an updated file. I tried modifying the info json with no luck and then posted the reply.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, the new graphics look a lot better too!

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

I was able to sit down just now and play with this a bit. At first it seemed like the same thing as an electric pole only tinier.

- auto-draws connections

So this was just a conflict with 'Lighted Electric Poles +' https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Optera/LightedPolesPlus

It is kind of interesting, if you use a lighted connection box it auto-connects, you use a non-lighted entity no connect. But if you build a lighted CB after a non-lighted version that one will connect to the lighted entity, and in some cases when removing the lighted one the non-lighted entities will auto-connect everything. *This is Factorio forcing the connections though, it does this with all poles placed, larger poles are the worst auto-connects any nearby copper, and circuit wires. Is fixable, but you'd have to replace all electric poles.

Anyways easy fix I just updated your control file for compatibility, is copy-paste pretty much.

- states no power connected

Not sure why this one fired, it doesn't with just the base mod active (unedited version of your mod). It's not the same mod conflicting either since if I run just the base game "optera library, light poles plus, stenios library, toggle map editor, and connection box" then it fires the no power on the modded version of your entity ONLY. It could just be the crap ton of other mods on my main save I don't know whatever it's not a big deal. When fixing the above compatibility issue it's just one line of code you have to add to fix it (event.created_entity.energy = 1).

Misc:

I removed the supply area completely, and increased the draw distance a bit. The only other change I might make is updating the graphics files takes a few seconds remove the copper pole completely, or split it into two separate entities. A powered, and non-powered version.

--------------------

Any ways all that said great mod, easy to use, easy to understand love it. Thanks again!

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”