Modding completely new automated transport method

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Modding completely new automated transport method

Post by Omnifarious »

Adding new vehicles doesn't seem hard. But what if you want some kind of station like a train station, but for a different vehicle type. Is this possible to do at all with modding?

I was thinking, in particular, of the cargo plane from the Aircraft mod. It might be nice to use it as a very fast, but also very energy intensive form of transport that couldn't carry as much as a train, but had more flexibility. But, it would need fixed places to land and wait for conditions, like a train station.

HerpicusMcDerpington
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Modding completely new automated transport method

Post by HerpicusMcDerpington »

AAI does that with vehicles like Haulers and all kind of new military vehicles, that can load and unload
Helicopter can be controlled remotley to fly to preset destinations, like map markers, helipads and player position
So it should be possible.

But dont ask me, i know nothing bout modding
Im am not your rolling wheel, I am the highway!

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

HerpicusMcDerpington wrote:AAI does that with vehicles like Haulers and all kind of new military vehicles, that can load and unload
Helicopter can be controlled remotley to fly to preset destinations, like map markers, helipads and player position
So it should be possible.

But dont ask me, i know nothing bout modding
Do you mean AAI Programmable Vehicles?

Yeah, looking at that, what I want should definitely be possible. There might be a LOT of scripting involved, but it's likely possible.

Interesting. Thank you for the pointer.

HerpicusMcDerpington
Inserter
Inserter

yeah, forgot that AAI has more than one single mod, you picked the right one i think
I never really got it to do what it does with vehicle moving, it does that by scanned tile (needs radar like buildings) which can be automaticly changed.
I used BPs from an outdated tutorial and at that time wasnt realy into circuit connections.

Look at Nilaus´Youtube tutorial videos for functionality, but dont use the BPs.
The mod realy is cicruit heavy, so a modder should only use the loading logic thats behind it, iirc thats semi automatic

For pathing i´d prefer Helicopter and its remote control (needs to be in your armor grid) since that seems easier on the control side to make a flying vehicle do what you want.
Last edited by HerpicusMcDerpington on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerpicusMcDerpington
Inserter
Inserter

Omnifarious wrote:Adding new vehicles doesn't seem hard. But what if you want some kind of station like a train station, but for a different vehicle type. Is this possible to do at all with modding?
As for the "station type", you should realy test "Helicopter" and its heli pad, combined with remote control.
The remote has 3 (maybe 4? havent used it lately) different options:
-fly to a map marker
-fly to players position
- and fly to "helipad"

Helipads are special buildings and you can manually select to which one you wanna sent your vehicle. From there it should be easier to automate.

Its quite a balanced mod for big maps, since it needs an aweful lot of fuel, even burning through nuclear fuel pretty fast (and can crash and kill you if you ran out of fuel over water :twisted: )

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”