[Idea] Waste Dump planet

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Idea] Waste Dump planet

Post by Pandemoneus »

Instead of starting on a green planet, you start on a planet that is full of trash. Your job could be to make the planet habitable.

Early game
  • Instead of the usual ores generating, there is a "scrap" ore which you can recycle for copper and iron or any other mod-specific material.
  • All usual terrain tiles would be replaced by trash tiles/textures (the whole planet is full of it)
  • Instead of normal water, there is heavily polluted water (green or brownish color)
  • There could also be pools of acid that contain sulfuric acid (from old batteries) which can be used in the recycling process
Mid game
Mid game would focus on the usual expansion of factories and new facilities for new tech.

Late game
Late game would focus on terraforming (for example via a machine that converts tiles to grass and water). Maybe this step reveals new resources that could be used for rockets (for the sake of having the usual Factorio ending)?

This is just an idea that came up. Feel free to expand on it. :D
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Idea] Waste Dump planet

Post by mrudat »

I'm reasonably certain that one or more existing mods has one or more 'scrap' or 'waste' items that are generated as a side-product of the refining process that can then be further processed into useful raw products.

I'm not quite certain about the tech tree, but having the entire play area covered with a thin layer (perhaps 5-50 per tile) of ore that yields one of those scrap items, or perhaps a random scrap item, and supplying the player with one of each of the equipment types required to reprocess those scrap items sounds like it would work; they would still need to research the technology in question in order to build more reprocessing facilities, but that should be enough to get started.

For terraforming, you could reach for dectorio, and/or nicefill. if you used one generation function to build new chunks, and configured nicefill to use the vanilla generation function, that should have the desired effect, I think.

I'd be inclined to suggest that you can only terraform a tile once it no longer has any remaining ore. I think that there's sufficient data exposed via the scripting API in order to perform that function.

There's also mods that assume a non-oxygen atmosphere, and require you to process oxygen out of raw materials; given that a waste dump planet is likely to have a heavily polluted atmosphere, something like that may be relevant.

There are a number of mods that pull pollution out of the air; you could perhaps start with all newly generated chunks having maximum pollution, and in addition to (or as a side effect of) cleaning up the trash, reducing pollution levels.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I nominate the name of the mod to be Wall-e-torio.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Scenario 4 the what?
(+1)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”