[IDEA/REQUEST] MARS: Terraforming and Colonization

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

[IDEA/REQUEST] MARS: Terraforming and Colonization

Post by Lucianus »

It would be a total conversion, sort of. The player can gather resources and use them to build structures useful for terraforming the planet. Machines for thickening the atmosphere, adding oxygen, creating water and steam. Greenhouses for oxygen and experimenting with modified plants for growing outside. research will be heavily modifed, with new technologies for those new buildings and new ones, like space elevators. The final objective could be reaching some levels of CO2 or temperature, the arrival of a rocket from Earth, or the birth of the first true martian.

Xiphoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [IDEA/REQUEST] MARS: Terraforming and Colonization

Post by Xiphoris »

+1. I've often wanted more to do in the endgame in Factorio. A large, expensive, terraforming project would be an excellent sink for endgame resources.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, i'm sure that there are some companies or groups of people (probably in the scientific community), that are already calculating the viability of these things, but maybe there is a way to do this for fun games of factorio, while only mainly using Technology, and Resources that are actually available?

this way, a lot more people will try to do things, which could even help the the viability aspect in some way :)

Assuming that a certain type and quantity of resources exist here on Earth, (which are actually made available for this endeavour and not used for other purposes or squandered/fought over), then it could be a fun way to see whether we can make a good go of it in terms of expanding to other planets, and only using certain resources while we still have them :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

There is also a cool SpaceX mod here which is worth trying out as well, and maybe has some cross-over aspects?
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/LordKTor/SpaceMod
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lucianus »

It's a very cool mod, ideal for late game.
Some ideas about terrain and map generation:
- No trees. A basic stone/pastic material shound replace wood for early recipes.
- No seas/lakes. Water should be found underground, in little quantities, therefore not usable for power. power should be provided initially by basic solar panels. Maybe heolic also.
- Red terrain. Sand, dirt, everything red and simmilar tones.
- mineral zones instead of free mineral fields. a more realistic approach to mining.
- A geographical approach: poles and craters rich with frozen CO2, absent solar power. equatorial zones optimal for solar plants. It could encourage a large network.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

On a under the hood side:

Change all structures to not produce pollution except for the terraforming stations. Then make the end goal to reach 100% evolution.

You could add farms for growing moss, grass, trees and maybe allow building them only where there is enough pollution (terraforming). The more
terraforming the better a farm you can build. Or better the farm would work but yields would differ depending on pollution.

Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lucianus »

mrvn wrote:On a under the hood side:

Change all structures to not produce pollution except for the terraforming stations. Then make the end goal to reach 100% evolution.

You could add farms for growing moss, grass, trees and maybe allow building them only where there is enough pollution (terraforming). The more
terraforming the better a farm you can build. Or better the farm would work but yields would differ depending on pollution.
Good ideas. Trees also should spread "pollution" too

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Lucianus wrote:
mrvn wrote:On a under the hood side:

Good ideas. Trees also should spread "pollution" too
Trees, or rather forests, could be buildings too so I see no problem there. Basically greenhouses without the house.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

theres also a mod called Alien Biomes that might have the red look for the ground
and i saw some tree saplings planting mods and a no-trees mod too that could help

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PTTG »

I would be so down for this.

I think that there would be some idea of there being a civilian population -- maybe all buildings need abstracted-out workers, so as you expand your industry you need to build more habitats, and more farms, and more pressure suit factories, and more hospitals, and more entertainment zones, and more luxury factories...

Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lucianus »

PTTG wrote:I would be so down for this.

I think that there would be some idea of there being a civilian population -- maybe all buildings need abstracted-out workers, so as you expand your industry you need to build more habitats, and more farms, and more pressure suit factories, and more hospitals, and more entertainment zones, and more luxury factories...
This remind me of an old pc game, Outpost 2. It was a RTS on an alien world, it had a great survival and scifi atmoshpere. Have a look if you don't know this game, is still really good. Btw there's a mod with "population", you have to satisfy the needs of some colony pods sending them resources.

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PTTG »

I think I found the one you're talking about:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=23170

That does look cool, and would be a good baseline for further development. I for one would like to see it go a little farther and actually have habitat domes in need of oxygen and food, maybe with progress points where more structures like a tavern or a medibay or what have you is needed.

I admit that this essentially consists of building a city builder on top of the game as it is, don't want to minimize that.

OH! Neat thought: citizens could have actual assignments that make them act as low-level logistics and construction bots. Even combat bots.

The advantage is that they're a hell of a lot cheaper in terms of infrastructure, but they're much harder to replace and expand, and they are harder to control.

Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lucianus »

I remember the Homeworld mod, it was very nice. But I think it's a little different concept, because in my idea there's enviroment alteration through machines.

Lucianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lucianus »

Hi people, just bumbing this thread, maybe with the latest space missions someone with a little hype could think about developing this idea

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”