Need ideas for my mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Need ideas for my mod

Post by donoya »

I'm working on creating a new mod, but I can't seem to come up with enough early and especially mid game ideas. I've made a google doc with what I have so far. Anyone can make suggestions on it and I'll decide which ones work and which ones don't. The feel I'm going for is somewhere between Yuoki Industries and Pyanodon's Coal Processing.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qv4 ... sp=sharing

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Need ideas for my mod

Post by mmmPI »

Hi , given the google doc it seems you continued your work after this post , it is uneasy to suggest because you are giving very few clue on what you want but maybie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... _processes will help , there is a dedicated section for iron and steel where they list different process used through ages and geography , such as crucible steel , bloomery , open hearth furnace , Bessemer process.

Most of those include carbon in a form or another , as you mentionned a mod that emphasize coal , so that can create an evolution from early to mid game as you discover new process through science and make a more efficient use of your ressources.

Some of the process involve temperature which is also something that exist in factorio, some requires pressure , that you can deal with a liquid called " pressurized [Liquid] " , " [highly] pressurized [XX] " " [ Highlier ] pressurized "

otherwise you will find pictures of the different machines in use or that were used in heavy industy maybie one will intrigue you enough that you will want to have it in factorio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_oxidationI had to drop this one too it is within the list of the first one ; it is your cell identifier that made me think of that ;it states that there is a method to use micro organism to eat the minerals that surround the iron ore , creating sulfuric acid in the process.

If you are into adding new mechanism here is a an idea : what about having new kinds of science , like " iron science " " copper science " " oil science " " nuclear science " , you create them in " small experiment lab " , " medium scientific unit " , " fully equiped R&D system " each requires iron or copper or oil , uranium , to produce their new science pack , because you need to test the new stuff on something, like for the nuclear industry IRL where they have reactors that exist only to produce stuff that will be used for research purposes

the research you do will unlock better way to handle each ressources , so that for example if you have a lot of copper and few iron , you can research a process that is energy efficient but has poor yield for copper , and if you have few iron you will have to take a decision between using it for the actual base , or give it to the scientist so that they can increase the yield in the future , even at cost of energy , or other additives.

hoping that could help , good luck

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Need ideas for my mod

Post by donoya »

mmmPI wrote:Hi , given the google doc it seems you continued your work after this post , it is uneasy to suggest because you are giving very few clue on what you want but maybie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... _processes will help , there is a dedicated section for iron and steel where they list different process used through ages and geography , such as crucible steel , bloomery , open hearth furnace , Bessemer process.

Most of those include carbon in a form or another , as you mentionned a mod that emphasize coal , so that can create an evolution from early to mid game as you discover new process through science and make a more efficient use of your ressources.

Some of the process involve temperature which is also something that exist in factorio, some requires pressure , that you can deal with a liquid called " pressurized [Liquid] " , " [highly] pressurized [XX] " " [ Highlier ] pressurized "

otherwise you will find pictures of the different machines in use or that were used in heavy industy maybie one will intrigue you enough that you will want to have it in factorio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_oxidationI had to drop this one too it is within the list of the first one ; it is your cell identifier that made me think of that ;it states that there is a method to use micro organism to eat the minerals that surround the iron ore , creating sulfuric acid in the process.

If you are into adding new mechanism here is a an idea : what about having new kinds of science , like " iron science " " copper science " " oil science " " nuclear science " , you create them in " small experiment lab " , " medium scientific unit " , " fully equiped R&D system " each requires iron or copper or oil , uranium , to produce their new science pack , because you need to test the new stuff on something, like for the nuclear industry IRL where they have reactors that exist only to produce stuff that will be used for research purposes

the research you do will unlock better way to handle each ressources , so that for example if you have a lot of copper and few iron , you can research a process that is energy efficient but has poor yield for copper , and if you have few iron you will have to take a decision between using it for the actual base , or give it to the scientist so that they can increase the yield in the future , even at cost of energy , or other additives.

hoping that could help , good luck
Thanks for the feedback. I like all of these ideas, especially the one about bacterial oxidation. I'll probably only use a few of these, though, as I mostly want to add more fictional items and processes. So if you have any additional ideas regarding that, let me know. In the meantime, I've been working on another mod focused solely on realism, so any real world ideas you give that don't make it into this mod might make it into the other. (the reason I haven't asked for help on that one is because I already have lots of plans for it.)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”