[Request] "Bootstrap Challenge" scenario

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] "Bootstrap Challenge" scenario

Post by Tinyboss »

I want a scenario to use for my "Bootstrap Challenge". Here's what I need it to do. I'll try to leave out the specifics as much as possible because people here probably have better ideas than I do about accomplishing it. If someone wants to just make it, that would be fantastic, but I've made a few mods (not recently) so just pointers on how to accomplish a particular thing would be very much appreciated, too.

It's basically a speedrun, but the player begins with all (non-infinite) tech and a limited number of inventory slots, which can be filled any way they like. It occurred to me when I was thinking about hopping in my car and driving for an hour or so to the land of gigantic resource patches, nuking my old base before I leave. What would I take with me?

Setup phase: The player chooses the starting inventory, limited to N slots total. It's okay if N is not completely flexible, for instance, there could be a wood chest, iron chest, steel chest, and multi-steel chest version of the challenge. Any quantity of any item available in a vanilla game can be chosen. The player can also wear Mk2 power armor and fill its grid as they like. Nothing in the personal inventory. No building or hand-crafting during this phase. When the player is ready, they move onto...

Build phase: The player and their chosen bootstrap gear are teleported to a no-biters, no-pollution map with very high-density resource patches. Something like a railworld map, quite far from the starting area. The map and the starting location in it are the same on every play. A large area around the player is initially revealed, so they don't have to spend time exploring. All power armor equipment is 100% charged. A timer begins, and it stops when the win condition has been met. All non-infinite technology is available, and players are not prevented from continuing into the infinite techs if they think it will help. Naturally, there is no restriction on access to the blueprint library. Having finely-tuned blueprints will probably be 90% of the challenge.

My first idea for a win condition was the production of 10,000 level 3 modules (prod, speed, or efficiency, in any combination), but 100 satellite launches would also work.

Is this something that can be accomplished easily as a pre-packaged scenario? Thanks in advance for any help or feedback!

galibert
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Request] "Bootstrap Challenge" scenario

Post by galibert »

Interesting. I'd have chosen a slightly different setup: you have all tech, but a completly empty inventory. How fast can you start and ramp up production?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Is this supposed to be an SP only scenario or MP compatible? If MP then should players be on the same team, or does each player get his own team+map? In the latter case things get quite a lot more complicated.

The other parts of: unlock tech, chose inventory, teleport somewhere are pretty trivial though. Custom power armor is a bit more annoying because of the different sizes of the equipment and there being no moddable gui for it...

Also wouldn't it be better to make that a mod instead of a scenario? That way you get to custom fine tune the map settings and if you want the same map every time you just store the map exchange string?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

galibert wrote:Interesting. I'd have chosen a slightly different setup: you have all tech, but a completly empty inventory. How fast can you start and ramp up production?
Or a nearly completely empty inventory but full MK2 Power Armor setup with personal roboports and 50 construction robots. Initially you don't have anything for them to place but you can clearcut trees and use ghosts and blueprints.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”