[Request] Show Resistances

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Sabrewulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Request] Show Resistances

Post by Sabrewulf »

I'm very sad because resistances was removed from object details, and i think some players are too.

Can someone create a mod for show the resistances as before or better?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Show Resistances

Post by bobingabout »

they were removed? That's dumb, when you have several mods that add armor for example, how are you supposed to know which has the best resistances?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I don't think it is possible to change this in a mod.

Resistances are not shown for entities of your force in the side panel anymore, as we think this information doesn't change how people play the game, and it was just taking up space in the side panel. They are still shown on entities of enemy forces.

@bobingabout: It is still visible on armor. Doesn't it prove my point that you have not noticed this since 0.15 was released? :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

posila wrote:@bobingabout: It is still visible on armor. Doesn't it prove my point that you have not noticed this since 0.15 was released? :D
I don't play. I mod.

Since about 0.13 my "Playing the game" is basically "Make a change in a mod, then load the game to make sure it actually works."
As an example, I'm fairly sure the equipment grid on fluid wagon issue has been fixed, but I haven't actually loaded to game to see it for myself.
I also have a Patreon.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

posila wrote: Resistances are not shown for entities of your force in the side panel anymore, as we think this information doesn't change how people play the game, and it was just taking up space in the side panel. They are still shown on entities of enemy forces.e
I do feel it should be visible at least somewhere though - if only in the inventory or research. For example when you mouseover a power pole item in the inventory you get the power pole reach and coverage and stuff, you don't get that when mouse overing a power pole entity. So why not treat resists the same way and show them when mouseovering in the inventory?

As a contra argument to not changing how people play the game: Knowing what is 100% fire resists is super useful for planning a flamethrower turret based defense. It's not obvious for example that medium power poles should be fire immune, but iron pipes are not, it's not a surprise that walls are fire immune, but logically gates could go either way.

Sabrewulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sabrewulf »

posila wrote: Resistances are not shown for entities of your force in the side panel anymore, as we think this information doesn't change how people play the game, and it was just taking up space in the side panel. They are still shown on entities of enemy forces.
Pointless.
Example:
"Character upper body are not shown anymore. as we think a body part do not change how people play the game and it's just taking space in screen."

Information is very relevant for strategy and modded things.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Sabrewulf wrote:
posila wrote: Resistances are not shown for entities of your force in the side panel anymore, as we think this information doesn't change how people play the game, and it was just taking up space in the side panel. They are still shown on entities of enemy forces.
Pointless.
Example:
"Character upper body are not shown anymore. as we think a body part do not change how people play the game and it's just taking space in screen."

Information is very relevant for strategy and modded things.
This change was done based on vanilla. And we noticed and were already informed that it was by design and won't be added back by Rsending I think.
It makes mods that add varied defenses less useful - why you would choose reinfoced wall over wall if you can't see that much difference other then maybe hp? Same with various tanks and armored train stuff.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Removing resistances from the information was the right choice, especially for trains, and logistic chests. Displaying several lines of static resistance stats truncates displayed inventory even more.

As long as the item and recipe info show resistances i don't see a problem.

Btw: Like Bob I'm only starting the game to test changes to my mods. so my memory of what the ui exactly shows is hazy.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Optera wrote:Removing resistances from the information was the right choice, especially for trains, and logistic chests. Displaying several lines of static resistance stats truncates displayed inventory even more.

As long as the item and recipe info show resistances i don't see a problem.

Btw: Like Bob I'm only starting the game to test changes to my mods. so my memory of what the ui exactly shows is hazy.
After last changes there is no place in game that shows resistances of your objects - neither recipe screen nor research screen. Resists for walls, turrets, car/tank and train stuff do not show up anywhere.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's a shame really...

You like a game, so you start modding it.
Then you're too busy modding it to actually play it anymore.
I also have a Patreon.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

This should be a setting, like inserter arrow display.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

bobingabout wrote:It's a shame really...

You like a game, so you start modding it.
Then you're too busy modding it to actually play it anymore.
It's a shame indeed.
I started modding to make it more fun to play for me, but by spending so much time with modding I lost most interest in actually playing.

Sabrewulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sabrewulf »

People, resistances do not need to occupy too much space, abbreviated words or icons can make all resistances fit in 1 line.
For old players, resistances can do not care too much because they have a idea about how much is, but for new players is more hard. What the logic in a game about build and defend to know your armor resistances and not know the structure resistances?
Per example pipes are destroyed by a forest on fire. I would never guess my water pipes getting destroyed by 10s of a tree on fire.
This game have a lot of items and mods, so we need open each file to know each resistance? Strategically less resistant and important structures need to be less exposed to damage, compact bases are better to defend, and it influence the design.
Would be nice if at least a mod show at any place of screen the object resistances.
posila wrote:I don't think it is possible to change this in a mod.
When i see a staff member saying it my heart hurt, i only can think the developers beginning to make the game more difficult with lack of information to the player, just like in hardcore games where creativity lacks...

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mooncat/ ... esistances
Can't believe no one has done it yet... lol
Note: it does nothing if Factorio version is below 0.15.30.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Mooncat wrote:https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mooncat/ ... esistances
All hail Mooncat, our saviour! :D

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I call gold-plated bullocks on that! Something that makes a rather big difference for me is knowing impact resistances really affect what I place near roads, which are likely to get hit by the car. So, it actually does affect how I play! Also, it's fallacious to think that just because information doesn't impact strats that it isn't something the player would like to know.
Qon wrote:
Mooncat wrote:https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mooncat/ ... esistances
All hail Mooncat, our saviour! :D
...not helping with my 0.14 mod pack... (I'll call that "phlemtemy", yunno, to distinguish it from "blasphemy" ;))

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Thanks Mooncat, I'll be using that mod once I get past the point where I'm trying to get into achievements and start getting into mods. I added it to my list.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

My pleasure. ;)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”