[Mod IDEA] Colony Quests with breakdown of modder tasks

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Mod IDEA] Colony Quests with breakdown of modder tasks

Post by foodfactorio »

Colony Quests (Mod Idea): thought up a few days before, but only typed up about 5am on 26/06/2017 :D

Hi all, i had a cool idea for a mod, and any thoughts or feedback is welcome...

Background Story:
Another fellow team has crashed here and needs assistance to form a colony before they get overrun. (we basically agree to help each other out, and we get prestige reward points)

How it works:
Once we have a logistics network in place, and more than a certain amount of mixed items inside it, the mod starts.
We get an icon that can pop up a window and be minimised again, a bit like the Status objectives from the spacex mod.

Insde it, appear random requests, like "need to send them a Package of Coal" (made from 3000 coal pieces),
or they need 2000 Speed Module 8's.
and later on, another random request appears, like "need to send them a Shipment of Oil Barrels" (made from 90000 crude oil barrels)
or something like this with an easily searchable word (like Package, or Shipment)

BUT, these missions will (optionally) time out and expire, (but still have plenty of time, maybe it lasts 2 weeks in game, or a month in game for larger requests)

Main Reasons for thinking up this mod:
- it could be fun :)
- also when you have a decent large base,
- and most of the research is completed
- and you are easily halfway through the spacex mod
- but still have tons of sodium hydroxide (courtesy of angels mods) :) and lots and lots of other stuff like barrels of oil, or biocrude barrels, and light oil and plastic etc
- then this gives us a way to randomly, try to fulfill particular request to help the colony, where we actually do have to start doing a bit more planning, in order to fulfill the requests,

for example, if we need to send them 50,000 bottled petroleum gas, we might need to do the following with our various resources:
1) optimise crude oil extractions further (maybe by making more beacons and modules to put in them)
2) crack more heavy or light oils to get more petroleum gas
3) if we have those synthhetic mods, we might have to build more greenhouses, to grow more trees, to get more wood, to get more planks, to get more biocrude oil, to mix and generate more crude oil, to get more petroleum gas.
4) we might have to expand to get more iron ore, to make iron powder, to get iron oxide, to get synthetic oil, to turn into even more crude oil to speed up crude oil production, for gas.
5) maybe some other things or other mods like caustic processing can help further...
.....and this is just for 1 particular quest of sending them a shipment of 50k petroleum gas bottles :)

another example could also be where you have a lot of unused items, from a lower level of technology, such as Electric Pole Mk1, or logistic robot flying frames mark1, which you have not needed to use, and if you suddenly have to send massive shipments of iron plates or something, it could encorage us to start using the Recycler mod and start turning 80% of the unused items back into basic plates or something similar.

also, if you have bin bims Black Market mod, you can even also use that to sell some spare extra stocks of items, to get pirate trader credits and use that to help you buy what you need if you dont have enough in stock. (in one of my games, ive been using it to bottle up and sell spare Oxygen red bottles,, once i get more than 500 in stock, plus a few other items, for months of in-game time, and only managed to get about 550 million trader credits.... which is very good for smaller items ,but is only about enough to get 2 of the spacex items for one of its objectives, as they cost about 250million each :)

that was my idea for a mod, to help us be able to use up excess stocks of items, while doing more quests :)
but i dont know how to code it lol :)

Things that probably would need doing to help make this mod:
- a dependency on the player activating the mod, by way of an easy to complete technology research entry.
- hooks into the games timer (to keep track of days or months that go by in game terms)
- an icon to click on, like "CQ" to toggle the Colony Quests window.
- a Colony Quests window that pops up with some text inside it. (maybe it can also show some in game small icons of items, like a Barrel of Crude oil, if that was a relevant quest)
- a way for the mod to access or identify each and every item that the player has access to, (maybe including those locked behind research too?)
- a way to pick out some of these items randomly and show them as quests.
- maybe a way for the game to calculate how many of those items we already have in the logistics network, and multiply it by 3 or something, so that it is challenging - or it can be progressively challenging)
- some new recipes for crafting all the particular quest items, into a Shipment Package, (maybe something in the Item Compression mods can help, like when they turn a larger amount of iron ore into a compressed bundle for later decompression? but i havent tried those yet)
- a way for the mod to keep track of how many quests are completed, a bit like the rocket score counting mod)
- a way to let the player choose to have quests expire more quickly, or last for much much longer
- and a way to keep track of rewards the player gets from quests. (maybe as an item in the shape of a yellow star or something?)

by the way, please can this also be done for version 0.14 of factorio? all of my mods and campaign is working nicely in this version and a lot of the mods are only for v0.14 too :)

Perhapse another aspect of the mod, could also be to establish mini colonies, but doing so would also require Regular Shipments of supplies, like a Colony Supply Pack (cps), where 1 CPS is made up of say Large amount of Metals, like Iron, Steel, Copper, and Gold etc, as well as a large batch of other materials like organics (Wood, Water etc, maybe even Biter Steaks if you play with alien waste-related mods, like Alien goop can make alien candy nutrient packs) :)
and then a mini game take place, where it is not only about launching as many rockets as you can, but also seeing how many Colonies can you set up, and also how many can you successfully sustain ? :)
If anyone is able and willing to give it a go please do feel free and i help out as much as i can too.
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Mod IDEA] Colony Quests with breakdown of modder tasks

Post by foodfactorio »

Hi i just posted the 2nd part for the bit about mini colonies, which could also slot into Docs "Portal Research" asteroid mining mod here:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/docpaisl ... l-research

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=49940&p=294771#p294771
(content from above post is pasted below too)

"basically, when you outlined your mod on the first page, you mentioned this as one of the bullet points:
"Deploy portals remotely to asteroids so you can travel there to set up a mining outpost"

what if this "mining outpost" actually required some kind of (virtual) mini setting up of a colony?
if something like that could work, then maybe my idea from the idea page, could actually end up simply slotting into your mod (as far as i understand it so far, since i havent actually been able to play it yet), and maybe something like this could be the steps?

a) once your portal is established, some plot text could appear, mentioning something about needing to set up a mini colony of engineers, to act as a Maintenance Crew since things can often go wrong, or maybe its just to be able to provide supplies, and defence from comets or something.

b) in order to do that, they need some kind of forward operating base (or Engineer Colony Base or something)
(maybe this could help to counteract some of the possible aspects about satelites breaking down too often but i still need to try the mod) :)

c) this could simply be the end product result, of a recipe, which then just gets included on a satelite for launching (or something similar with portal tech)

d) this recipe could require vast amounts of resources, but in order to split things into quicker, easier to manage tasks), they simply make up the sub recipe inputs, maybe as follows:

d1) needs 1000 Compressed Iron Plates (via one of the mods, such as Compressor), Needs 1000 Compressed Copper Plates, and same for some of the other items.
d2) these recipe output something like "Iron Package for Colony", Copper Package for Colony, etc
d3) and the final "Engineer Colony Base" from b) above, could simply be made after taking in its recipe inputs of "X Iron Packages for Colony" + "X Copper Packages for Colony" etc.

d4) X values could be used, instead of just "1", if you wanted, depending on how the newly found asteroids are classified, so that if you had some way in future of finding larger types, then they might require larger amounts, hence the X values)

e) if it is easier to code, and if the game only allows a max amount of inputs for recipes, then maybe the above packages could be split up in Groups, such as:
e1) "Base Metals Package" = made up from say 1000 Iron Plates, Copper Plates, Steel Plates
e2) "Heavy Metals Package" = made up of say, 1000 Titanium, 1000 Cobalt, 1000 Tungsten
e3) "Organics Package" = made up of say, 1000 Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Water Barrels
e4) "Military Package" = made up of say, 1000 Normal Ammo, 1000 Piercing ammo, and 1000 Turrets (or something less if thats too much)
e5) "Electronics/Tech Package" = made up of say, 1000 Gold Plates, Silver Plates, Electronic Boards

f) 1 of each of these "packages" from e) above, could then simply be required to craft the necessary Engineer Colony Base, which then allows you to start mining it :) "
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

(Just to make a link to related post on Angels mod page)
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=19652&start=2120#p316457

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

(just adding link to related info on bobs feedback page, regarding statues)
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53548&p=336525#p336524
+
items in cascading warehouses:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34176&start=20#p294780

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

adding colony charter link:
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=63531#p387892

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”