[Request] Sel's Mod Request

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

[Request] Sel's Mod Request

Post by Seldion »

1. A Mod that adds 1x1 mining drills that only go over one ore patch, require only electricity to run and act as a provider chest so that robots can gather the ore from the drills.

2. a mod that adds a sniper turret, good damage bonus, range but slow firing and targeting with its own type of ammo [12.7×99mm] and not just a recolored gun turret with different stats for better defense against bitters early game.

So far these are the only mods I can't find that I would really enjoy to have.
Thanks for your time and thank you to all the mod makers out there that take time to make mods for our enjoyment,

Thank You!

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Request] Sel's Mod Request

Post by Seldion »

In that mod you have to supply the mining sites with batteries, I just want to link the miners up to my power system and that is it, not have to make a complex recharging chain and that also uses the standard logistic robots.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Hardcorio has the exact weapon you describe, but it's a single overhaul mod that doesn't play nice with other mods and undoes a lot of the vanilla game. The mod you're probably looking for is Bob's Warfare, which implements a series of sniper turrets that use standard ammunition with huge bonuses and longer ranges, but vastly reduced rates of fire.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

featherwinglove wrote:Hardcorio has the exact weapon you describe, but it's a single overhaul mod that doesn't play nice with other mods and undoes a lot of the vanilla game. The mod you're probably looking for is Bob's Warfare, which implements a series of sniper turrets that use standard ammunition with huge bonuses and longer ranges, but vastly reduced rates of fire.

Thank you for the response, I know of bob's warfare but it adds a little to much to the game, I already have quite a few mods as it is and I'm just looking for a early game sniper turret and nothing else, seem I am stuck with the recolored gun turrets with more bonus damage and slower shooting speeds and longer range Y-Y

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I've found the Mk1 Sniper Turret to be early game enough, even with SCoT in the pack. Without it, you don't even need solder primaries, and I get along fine with it as long as there isn't too much crawling horror between me and the nearest lead and tin patches. I find it a bit overpowered though, however it sticks as my primary weapon for so long that it is very quaint before I can replace it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I tried to balance my mods to a point where... Each mod doesn't add too much so people can pick and choose what they want, vs dozens or hundreds of mods that each add one or two things. There's a fine line between "Too much content per mod" and "Too many mods".

I suppose I could make more of my mods more like my assembling machines mod, or my Mining mod. Both of those have quite a few configuration options to turn each type of machine on and off. They still give you either the whole tree or none of it though, so you can't just say "I want the MK1 water mining drill and nothing else", you either have all 5 tiers of it, or none of them.
Adding configuration options is a lot of work as it is. You then basically have to balance between "Lots of options to be able to configure everything exactly how you want, but can't find any of it in the huge list." vs "A nice small list that is easy to find what you're looking for, but your options are limited."

It's all just one big balancing act.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

bobingabout wrote:There's a fine line between "Too much content per mod" and "Too many mods".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) ...um, I disagree.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

bobingabout wrote:It's all just one big balancing act.
I understand and I am grateful for all the time you have put into your mods, I enjoy quite a few of your mods too, It would be great tho like you mentioned to split some of your mods up, I'd like to see your warfare mod split into 3, ammo, turrets and equipment, if you could do that, it would be great, I know not everyone plays the same way and your time is very valuable so I am not expecting anything and am grateful for every little thing you do, I'm sorry if I seemed disrespectful.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I'm actually in favour of bundling Bob's Warfare and Bob's Enemies 'cus they're balanced to go together. With just one, you either wind up with an impossible game (just Bob's Enemies) or a quite easy game (just Bob's Warfare).

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

featherwinglove wrote:I'm actually in favour of bundling Bob's Warfare and Bob's Enemies 'cus they're balanced to go together. With just one, you either wind up with an impossible game (just Bob's Enemies) or a quite easy game (just Bob's Warfare).
I prefer Natural Evolution, it doesn't just make the biters stronger with more hp and attack but rather it makes them smarter and won't really attack you if you aren't polluting or making much "noise" pollution like with radars and such, they also attack your weak points instead of smashing a well defended spot over and over.

I'm still looking for some form of robo mining mod sense I have unlimited ores on, I have mini-miners for now but mining a single ore patch at a time would be the most efficient, sense the way miners work and all.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Come to your "since"s please ;) Try AAI Programmable Vehicles maybe.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

featherwinglove wrote:Come to your "since"s please ;) Try AAI Programmable Vehicles maybe.
I do have them but I don't use the Miner, way to over powered, I'm looking for something balanced, something that is mid-late game to upgrade my basic stuff, so far I am using the omega drill, a bit to powerful for my taste but better then the standard drills, only alternative I can find.

Now if only I could find a mod that adds a furnace that runs for free but very slow :lol:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Seldion wrote:I do have them but I don't use the Miner, way to over powered, I'm looking for something balanced, something that is mid-late game to upgrade my basic stuff, so far I am using the omega drill, a bit to powerful for my taste but better then the standard drills, only alternative I can find.
bobmining should help there, I think. didn't I go through this already? it's seems famillier.
I also have a Patreon.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

bobingabout wrote:bobmining should help there, I think. didn't I go through this already? it's seems famillier.
Yes it does, but I guess no one fully reads what I say, I have infinite ore on, with the way ore mining is set up, it randomly selects a ore patch in its operation range, and mines it, randomly picks and repeats, but when the ore gets a low yield it doesn't always get a ore item, so to get maximum efficient I either need a very over powered miner like AAI mobile miner or the omega drill or a way to mine each ore patch only so that I can mine every ore patch separately instead of wasting space.

I know this is a long shot but by chance is there a mod out there that adds the ability to set each research lab to research something instead of all on one?
Late game I'd enjoy the ability to research multi-able infinite researches at once.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Seldion wrote:
bobingabout wrote:bobmining should help there, I think. didn't I go through this already? it's seems famillier.
Yes it does, but I guess no one fully reads what I say, I have infinite ore on, with the way ore mining is set up, it randomly selects a ore patch in its operation range, and mines it, randomly picks and repeats, but when the ore gets a low yield it doesn't always get a ore item, so to get maximum efficient I either need a very over powered miner like AAI mobile miner or the omega drill or a way to mine each ore patch only so that I can mine every ore patch separately instead of wasting space.

I know this is a long shot but by chance is there a mod out there that adds the ability to set each research lab to research something instead of all on one?
Late game I'd enjoy the ability to research multi-able infinite researches at once.
I see what you mean with what you're after for ore patches.

As for the research... not as far as I'm aware, the way research works is one of those things built into the game code itself, not in the data files.

Everything below this point is just me rambling about how a modder could in theory make something like this possible.

There are quite a few research related things in scripts that could possibly work around this.

Code: Select all

get_saved_technology_progress(technology) → double
set_saved_technology_progress(technology, double)
research_progress :: double [Read-Write]
current_research :: LuaTechnology or string [Read-Write]

enable_all_technologies()
research_all_technologies(include_disabled_prototypes)
reset_technologies()
reset_technology_effects()
and a technologies list that uses everything listed on this page http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaTechnology.html

Relevant ones only:

Code: Select all

name :: string [R] Name of this technology. 
enabled :: boolean [RW] Can this technology be researched? 
researched :: boolean [RW] Has this technology been researched? 
prerequisites :: dictionary string → LuaTechnology [R] Prerequisites of this technology. 
research_unit_ingredients :: array of Ingredient [R] Ingredients labs will require to research this technology. 
effects :: array of Modifier [R] Effects applied when this technology is researched. 
research_unit_count :: uint [R] Number of research units required for this technology. 
research_unit_energy :: double [R] Amount of energy required to finish a unit of research. 
level :: uint [RW] The current level of this technology. 
research_unit_count_formula :: string [R] The count forumula used for this infinite research or nil if this isn't an infinite research. 
The problem is, although you can check what a research does, and if it is researched or not... you can't say "Make this technology researched, and unlock all of it's goodies", you can only set it to researched or not, which does NOT unlock everything that it would had you actually researched it.

in other words, every time a lab finished it's research chain, it would need to set that technology as the active research, set it to 100% progress, then let it tick, which would interrupt gameplay with the "This technology is now researched" alert, not a bad thing unless you have the "Interupt me to choose a new research" turned on, which then pauses the game and presents you with the technology screen, which wouldn't do much more than let you see the technologies as the mod is taking over how research works. At this point research for the specific technology could be set for that machine that finished it's research based on what the player chooses.

Alternatively, it might be possible to tell the game it has been researched by setting the researched flag directly on the technology, which doesn't actually unlock anything, then call reset_technology_effects(), which in theory SHOULD remove all effects as a result of research, then run through the list of technologies and apply them all again if the researched flag is set. Slightly long winded method that could lag the game for a moment, as it is supposed to be used only on game state changes (removed a mod, added a mod, or changed a onstartup mod config option(which can add or remove content from the game like adding or removing a mod).), so it is normally only called when you load a game, a point where you wouldn't notice the lag.

There's also the slight issue of.... how does research cost packs? the lab isn't going to work automatically and consume packs like normal, it can only do that with the base game system. it... makes things messy. you would either have to come up with an entirely new method of researching, or not actually use a lab. you could use some sort of assembling machine that crafts some arbitrary item that a script looks for and deletes to add counts towards research.

Another advantage of using such a machine is that it doesn't have to cost science packs. You could have automation 2 cost assembling machines, and a few raw resources like gears and electronics, yet logistics 2 cost inserters and belts. You could even have it cost all of everything up front so that when this one item is crafted it unlocks the technology, but that means only 1 machine can research a thing at once, building more than 1 of the item would be pointless. requiring 100 of these items that are consumed automatically upon creation would be a better way to go, but then you still have the issue that if more than one machine is making the thing, all other machines part way through a cycle, their ingredients will be lost as the recipe is removed on the completion tick. This is why science packs were changed to a tool, so that the bar slowly goes down per tick rather than a whole pack being consumed, because if you had 10 labs researching something that cost 100 packs, you would likely end up with a final cost of 109 packs, as when one of them completes the research, the other 9 were part way through researching, and everything gets dropped. That situation would return.

This is actually something a few people ask for with my mods too. In my mods I add different types of labs, that cost different research items, so you can't use the same lab as normal to research Modules, or Alien related things, each has their own lab. The problem is that the way the base game works, even though you're using an entire different set of labs, it uses the same progress bar, meaning you can't use them both at the same time.
I also have a Patreon.

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seldion »

I see, so basically they'd have to make the base research null, make a whole new way to research in order for something like that to be possible?

If so then I will just be happy with what there is, I'll give your research mod a try tho, think that's one of the few that I haven't tried yet.

Thank you again for your time, it was very informative.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Seldion wrote:I see, so basically they'd have to make the base research null, make a whole new way to research in order for something like that to be possible?

If so then I will just be happy with what there is, I'll give your research mod a try tho, think that's one of the few that I haven't tried yet.

Thank you again for your time, it was very informative.
That's pretty much what I said, yes. you would need to "re-invent the wheel".

As for my tech mod, if you don't use it in my mod suite, it's not going to add the alien lab(requires bobenemies with alien artifacts turned on, and the science is only really used in bobwarfare and vehicle equipment grids mods). The modules lab is actually part of the modules mod, so it won't add that either.

What my tech mod will do for you though is add a lab MK2, and add a logistics science pack, moving some of the strain away from the production pack. but it requires bobplates to do the full science pack recipe overhaul, as it is dependant on the existence of lithium-ion batteries (think battery MK2)
I also have a Patreon.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I haven't Bobbed 0.15 yet, does it still have that strange progression of primitive lead acid batteries followed by uber-advanced lithium ion batteries followed by considerably-less-advanced silver-zinc batteries? (Note: irl terms of advanced; silver-zinc is more advanced in Bob's.)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

featherwinglove wrote:I haven't Bobbed 0.15 yet, does it still have that strange progression of primitive lead acid batteries followed by uber-advanced lithium ion batteries followed by considerably-less-advanced silver-zinc batteries? (Note: irl terms of advanced; silver-zinc is more advanced in Bob's.)
Yes.

And in theory, the only reason why Li-Ion batteries are more advanced in the real world is because that's where the attention has gone. if you look up information about silver-zinc/zinc-oxide batteries, they have at least the same potential is Li-Ion batteries if developed.

In theory, I could just swap them around and nothing would break (Swap research costs, swap them in every recipe)
it would be easier to do if I actually named them battery2 and battery3 internally, Pretty much the only reason why I didn't make this change in the first place is because I didn't want to break anyone's factory.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”