(Request) Higher research cost

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
juunsuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

(Request) Higher research cost

Post by juunsuke »

This is something that shouldn't be too difficult to make.
It would be interesting to have a mod that increases the research cost of every recipe in the game.

I usually play the game in peaceful mode, with minimal enemy bases, as I like to play for the creation aspect. I like to plan out and build huge factories.
However, I find that it has become too quick & easy. I only build 10~12 labs, and as soon as a small (very small) red and green chain has been setup, I burn through
research so fast that I almost randomly pick the next research, with the window popping up all the time. Once the small blue packs chain is built, the game is practically done.

I tried changing the map generation parameters to have small and sparse resources, so I could get to build large train networks, but it ends up being too much work as by the
time the station is setup, it's already mined out.

So I came up with the idea of increasing the research costs. That would require much bigger factories, and a lot more iron and copper. That would allow me to build gigantic
factories, that have to fetch resources far away, and mine out several large patches, resulting in a large train network, several large mining/refining stations, and a large
assembly chain to build the science packs.

I'm thinking of something in the order of 10 times more science packs for each research, for each type of science packs, but it should be easy to make that number easily tweakable.

EDIT: I just realized that changing the recipes of the science packs to require more of each ingredient would accomplish the exact same goal, and would probably be easier to code.

I would really appreciate it if someone could do this! My guess is that it should be quite easy and not too time consuming to make.

Also, would be nice if it could include a recipe to craft purple science packs. Like I mentionned, I don't really like the combat aspect of the game, but end up having to do it for
those packs alone. Would be fun to be able to craft the packs, even if the recipe to make one is quite complex and resource-intensive.

Thank you!

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: (Request) Higher research cost

Post by Rahjital »

Both increasing the number of science packs and increasing the amount of resources needed are fairly easy to code. I can't provide the mod as I don't have Factorio on this computer, but maybe someone else will be up to the task.

Note that you can also change the research speed of labs directly, without having to change the number of science packs needed. Using this command would make all labs research at 10% speed:

Code: Select all

game.player.force.laboratoryspeedmodifier = 0.1

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I don't understand the request. You say you have 10 labs, and research goes too fast for you. Surely the simplest thing to do would be to gradually remove labs until you find a good balance?

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

FishSandwich wrote:I don't understand the request. You say you have 10 labs, and research goes too fast for you. Surely the simplest thing to do would be to gradually remove labs until you find a good balance?
He means it's to easy to set up 10 labs a research everything in no time at all.

Not sure how many hours it takes to research everything but I can't imagine it being quick. I mean, what's the fastest you have researched everything? :S
Last edited by JackTheHat on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

FishSandwich wrote:I don't understand the request. You say you have 10 labs, and research goes too fast for you. Surely the simplest thing to do would be to gradually remove labs until you find a good balance?
So if he finds the researches are too easy to get, he should make it harder for himself by removing some labs? That doesn't make much sense to me.
juunsuke wrote:Also, would be nice if it could include a recipe to craft purple science packs. Like I mentionned, I don't really like the combat aspect of the game, but end up having to do it for
those packs alone. Would be fun to be able to craft the packs, even if the recipe to make one is quite complex and resource-intensive.
This mod does what you want. It was made for 0.9.8, but it should be simple enough to still work in 0.10.3

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

JackTheHat wrote:
He means it's to easy to set up 10 labs a research everything in no time at all.

Not sure how many hours it takes to research everything but I can't imagine it being quick. I mean, what's the fastest you have researched everything? :S
70+ hours of gameplay.

juunsuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juunsuke »

Rahjital wrote:
So if he finds the researches are too easy to get, he should make it harder for himself by removing some labs? That doesn't make much sense to me.
juunsuke wrote:Also, would be nice if it could include a recipe to craft purple science packs. Like I mentionned, I don't really like the combat aspect of the game, but end up having to do it for
This mod does what you want. It was made for 0.9.8, but it should be simple enough to still work in 0.10.3
Thank you for the purple recipe, I'll try it tonight!

As for the research thing, it's not a matter of time. I understand it will take longer if I remove labs, but it won't be as resource intensive.
Same thing by slowing down the research.

What I mean is that when I start a new game, within a few hours I'm already producing enough blue packs to keep research going fast, and already have robots.. Past that point, I find there isn't much to do
in the game for now. (I'm not complaining about the lack of endgame, I understand the game is still in alpha and not done yet.)

What I want is to build a huge factory, but with a purpose. Right now I could build a huge one, mining from 10 large ore deposits at the same time and carrying all that by train and all.. But before I
achieve anything close to that, I've already reached that point where there's not much more to do in the game.

Basically, I want to scale the gameplay to require a much larger factory in order to reach that point of the game where there's not much left to do. I want a single game to last longer, but not by simply adding
a delay to research time, or researching slower.. But by require me to build a lot more infrastructure to achieve it.

Hope I made myself clearer :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Rahjital wrote:
Why not? Removing 9 of the 10 labs would reduce his research speed to 10%. No different to your suggestion.

Anyway, it seems research requirements are the issue and not research speed(I get that now), so it makes both suggestions moot. :p

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

juunsuke wrote:Right now I could build a huge one, mining from 10 large ore deposits at the same time and carrying all that by train and all.. But before I
achieve anything close to that, I've already reached that point where there's not much more to do in the game.
well.... here's a quick mod that makes all science packs 100x more expensive :) alien science packs can be crafted with 10 of each science pack 1-3 after researching the alien science tech as usual (you'll get both recipes)... Of course stack sizes will be increased as necessary to allow for auto crafting still :)
this leads to science pack 1 costing 100 copper-plates and 200 iron-plates (for the 100 gears)
science pack 2 costing 150 copper-plates, and 550 iron-plates
science pack 3 costing 1.6k copper-plates, 1.4k iron-plates, 100 steel, 100 plastic bars and 100 batteries...
and alien science pack costing a total of 18k copper, 22k iron, 1k steel, 2k plastic, and 1k batteries :lol:
That's per single science pack :twisted:
if that's overkill for you then open the data.lua file and change the ingredient_multiplier from 100 to something smaller (like 10 or 20). If you want the alien science pack to give 10 per craft then you can change the result_count from 1 to 10 :D

so.... that should be enough to force a gigantic base to do any proper research... :lol:
Expensive Sciencepacks --fixed :)

juunsuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juunsuke »

FreeER wrote:
juunsuke wrote:Right now I could build a huge one, mining from 10 large ore deposits at the same time and carrying all that by train and all.. But before I
well.... here's a quick mod that makes all science packs 100x more expensive :) alien science packs can be crafted with 10 of each science pack 1-3 after researching the alien science tech as usual (you'll get both recipes)... Of course stack sizes will be increased as necessary to allow for auto crafting still :)
this leads to science pack 1 costing 100 copper-plates and 200 iron-plates (for the 100 gears)
science pack 2 costing 150 copper-plates, and 550 iron-plates
science pack 3 costing 1.6k copper-plates, 1.4k iron-plates, 100 steel, 100 plastic bars and 100 batteries...
and alien science pack costing a total of 18k copper, 22k iron, 1k steel, 2k plastic, and 1k batteries :lol:
That's per single science pack :twisted:
if that's overkill for you then open the data.lua file and change the ingredient_multiplier from 100 to something smaller (like 10 or 20). If you want the alien science pack to give 10 per craft then you can change the result_count from 1 to 10 :D

so.... that should be enough to force a gigantic base to do any proper research... :lol:
Thanks a bunch! 100 might indeed be a bit of an overkill, so maybe I'll try with something like 20 to begin with.
But this should be interesting, I can finally build a huge factory with a purpose :) Thanks again!

juunsuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juunsuke »

I just installed the mod and tried real quick, and it's working great, thanks again a whole bunch!

There's a minor issue though. In the tech tree, alien tech says it will unlock the recipe for alien science packs, but I already have it right from the beginning.
It's not really a problem though, doesn't even really need a fix unless you're a perfectionnist :P

Oh, and build time is set to 0.5 sec, which is tiny compared to other science packs. But then again, not really an issue considering the huge ingredient requirements.

Thanks again!

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

juunsuke wrote:There's a minor issue though.
sigh, I knew I should have copied the science pack recipe instead of a random one... :oops:
add this before the result count of the alien-science-pack-2 (or after but make sure all but the last line has a ',' at the end) and in the console (~) run game.player.force.resetrecipes() and game.player.force.recipes["alien-science-pack-2"].enabled = false

enabled = "false",
    energy_required = 12,
I'll reupload to my the last post for anyone else that wants to download it :)
edit: also fixed another bug that would have been caused when adding the mod to a save with alien technology already researched.
manual fix- add this to the control.lua underneath resettechnologies()

game.player.force.recipes["alien-science-pack-2"].enabled = game.player.force.technologies["alien-technology"].researched
download link since I uploaded to dropbox: Expensive sciencepacks -fixed

juunsuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juunsuke »

FreeER wrote:
juunsuke wrote:There's a minor issue though.
sigh, I knew I should have copied the science pack recipe instead of a random one... :oops:
add this before the result count of the alien-science-pack-2 (or after but make sure all but the last line has a ',' at the end) and in the console (~) run game.player.force.resetrecipes() and game.player.force.recipes["alien-science-pack-2"].enabled = false

enabled = "false",
    energy_required = 12,
I'll reupload to my the last post for anyone else that wants to download it :)
edit: also fixed another bug that would have been caused when adding the mod to a save with alien technology already researched.
manual fix- add this to the control.lua underneath resettechnologies()

game.player.force.recipes["alien-science-pack-2"].enabled = game.player.force.technologies["alien-technology"].researched
download link since I uploaded to dropbox: Expensive sciencepacks -fixed
Much thanks! Starting a new epic game... now! :)

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I've had a similar "problem" and made a mod that fixes things in a bit different way. Basically the higher level research you have the more lower-end science packs it takes forcing you to keep expanding your production areas throughout the game. The mod is really raw at the moment and if someone adds weird science recipes (e.g no red packs used, 2 or more of same type of packs, ...) then it sort of bugs out. It also doesn't support any science packs outside of what vanilla has but adding them should not be too complex.

Thread for the mod is here. If you have suggestions on how to make things more interesting or just have problems just let me know in that thread and I'll see what I can do.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”