Starting to build "Factorio MMORPG"

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Maniah
Inserter
Inserter

Starting to build "Factorio MMORPG"

Post by Maniah »

I'm building "Factorio MMORPG".

I have a list of ideas I want to implement, but what do you think it should do?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Starting to build "Factorio MMORPG"

Post by bobingabout »

I don't get it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Maniah
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maniah »

Imagine this
Setting
The moment CTT (Consciousness Transferal Technology) was invented, everything changed. Death was no longer permanent, people just “respawned” in a healthy, young body. At first, it was just for the ultra rich. But soon it was recognized as a human right.

The population exploded and put a tremendous pressure on earth’s resources. It sparked an age of incredible technological advances and political turmoil. Soon the moon and Mars were colonised. But even that wasn’t enough, the boundaries had to be pushed further. Almost every piece of the solar system that was colonisable has been colonised.

Now the human race is looking beyond it’s own solar system …

A colonial ship with on board CTT has been dispatched a long time ago and has arrived at a habitable planet. Consciousness can be transferred through subspace to the ship making the trip near instant, but very expensive.
Only large corporations can afford to send someone there. You are on of these representatives. It is your job to secure as much land and resources as possible for your corporation.

The colonial ship is owned by the central government and enforces a minimal number of laws on the new planet. But since death is no longer permanent, they let you do pretty much anything as long as you pay your taxes.
Gameplay
When you join the server you get a starting number of credits. With these starting credits you can buy a plot of land and starting equipment from the colonial ship. The price of the land will depend on how much resources it has. So you need to choose between rich land, a lot of starting equipment, or anything in between.

My first idea of making a "border" around the plot of land is using water to make a moat and disabling landfill (if that's possible).

Resources can be sold on the "free market" between players and transferred through special chests. The colonial ship taxes every transaction. You can also sell to and buy from the colonial ship for credits.

When you have enough credits, you can have the moat removed and you are free to attack other players that no longer have a moat.

Score would be kept by building a special rocket and filling it with resources, sending them back to earth.

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Taurondir »

Because I'm working on a similar idea from another direction, I just want to chime in with a few things, as mine is COOP, not PvP. On a low player base (1-5 players) I would start them in the same area, 10+ I'd use a Mod that puts them many chunks apart (there is already a Mod that does that).

Because you are PvP from the start, I don't think "just a moat" will cut it, unless you can "safe Mod" an area.

I could drive past, fill the moat, then drive past Biters and drag them to your base. I could also just build pollution creating stuff on the outside of your base and probably drag Spitters to bombard the edges of your base. I'm sure that if you have tons of defenses up they might kill the drive by player, but if it's an "MMO" it means people can join anytime, and players that have been playing already a long time will just hunt starting bases and kill them unless you have something in the LUA code to prevent it. Also the fact that in the real world we have time zones, so I could figure out your play times, then attack your base when you are asleep. The nature of "MMO" means it runs a long time, and people will play in time chunks here and there.

As a "safe starter base", I had considered the idea that someone before me had sent a seed ship that found a suitable starting area with ores, landed, and deployed a nice concreted zone with a bunch of defenses. They would have a fixed amount of ammo, and can't be moved, but can be refilled, so once you expand far enough those, they can only now protect "the starting core" of the base, so they can still save your ass if you go offline for too long.

Another idea I had was a starting Factorissimo underground "Bunker" but with a larger map building that's totally invulnerable (and because I can't Mod to save my life in this game, that means just reusing the Factorissimo code to a 10x10 main map footprint, with an "undetground-ish" looking image) and this way you always have a "safe haven" with stored ores and a basic factory to get going again when idiots troll your base, and on "death", your CTT spawns inside there.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”