Mod to view other players (like we can with trains)

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
JuicyJuuce
Inserter
Inserter

Mod to view other players (like we can with trains)

Post by JuicyJuuce »

As an admin on a large multiplayer map, it would be nice to be able to check in on other players to see what they are doing, especially when it comes to handling griefers. I know that changing the camera is possible, but I especially like the idea of just having a preview window like we currently have in vanilla that allows us to view and follow trains.

I've just started dipping my toes into modding and would love to be able to do this myself but I'm not to the point where I even know where to start. If you don't want to make the mod but can point me to code that does something similar to vanilla train viewing that would be useful as well.
3Ra Gaming Moderator
come play the PvP scenario with us and join our discord at www.3ragaming.com/discord

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod to view other players (like we can with trains)

Post by Nexela »

The train view gui is not mod-able unfortunately. However something like Yarm/Fatcontrollers remote viewing should be possible.

a couple of options come to mind.

#1. View the location of the player (no-movement)
#2. Switch to god-mod, teleport to player, manually follow or have script that follows the player.
#3. Switch to fake-character with no abilities/inventory, manually follow or have script follow.

If nobody else is interested in this I *might* tackle it at some point.

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

Take a look at our scenario, https://github.com/3RaGaming/3Ra-Enhanced-Vanilla. Within our admin GUI is a follow panel, along with other spectate options.

JuicyJuuce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JuicyJuuce »

Articulating wrote:Take a look at our scenario, https://github.com/3RaGaming/3Ra-Enhanced-Vanilla. Within our admin GUI is a follow panel, along with other spectate options.
Wow, that turned out to have just what I wanted. Thanks.

I give out admin privileges pretty liberally on my server to anyone that shows that they are a contributor which has resulted in a couple dozen "admins." This is so that they can unpause the game when they arrive and pause it when they leave. This serves as a griefer prevention measure. (Is it possible to pause via a LUA command? I can't seem to find a way.) So because of the large number of admins, I'm going to have to dive into the code and disable most of the admin functionality outside of "Follow." Even the pure spectate function I'm wary of because it would allow players to vastly increase the map size just by moving far off the map.

Also, just a heads up, when I used the Github option to download a zip of 3Ra-Enhanced-Vanilla, the utils directory within the zip is empty. I guess the link within Github to the utils directory in the other package does not translate when it creates a zip file. I had to do a little debugging to see why the scenario wouldn't load before I figured this out.
3Ra Gaming Moderator
come play the PvP scenario with us and join our discord at www.3ragaming.com/discord

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

Yeah we don't know how to make the utils folder download with the rest of the scenario, and I'm not sure if it's possible. Stopping the character GUI from working is pretty simple, you should be able to just remove lines 412-414. Disabling regular spectating will likely be a bit more complex.

JuicyJuuce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JuicyJuuce »

Articulating wrote:Disabling regular spectating will likely be a bit more complex.
Thanks, I'm gonna dive into it and see what I can do.

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the changes to vanilla that 3Ra-Enhanced-Vanilla makes? I looked at the README.md and it was kinda vague. I want to incorporate it into my current save game that is a few weeks old, but I'd like to know what I'm getting before I expose all my players to it.
3Ra Gaming Moderator

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

JuicyJuuce wrote:
Articulating wrote:Disabling regular spectating will likely be a bit more complex.
Thanks, I'm gonna dive into it and see what I can do.

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the changes to vanilla that 3Ra-Enhanced-Vanilla makes? I looked at the README.md and it was kinda vague. I want to incorporate it into my current save game that is a few weeks old, but I'd like to know what I'm getting before I expose all my players to it.
Thank you for pointing out the missing information, I have updated the readme with a detailed list of the features that our scenario has to offer.

Chocolatetthunder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chocolatetthunder »

Glad you like our code articulating and some of our other guys have been working way hard on it. If you want to communicate a but quicker with our coders you can talk to us at www.3Ragaming.com/discord
3Ra Gaming Owner
join us on discord @ http://www.3RaGaming.com/discord

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”