[REQUEST] Inventory expansion module

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
necro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[REQUEST] Inventory expansion module

Post by necro »

I liked the tool belt to allow your character to carry a little more, so how about continuing on from that with a backpack and/or 'cargo expansion module' you can insert into modular armor to increase your inventory capacity?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [REQUEST] Inventory expansion module

Post by FishSandwich »

Do you really need more than 20 items in tool belt? I tend to just swap out things I'm not using anymore to put in things I will be using. But that rarely happens.

necro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by necro »

The toolbelt is great as it is, i didn't mean to make that larger, instead increase the capacity of the main 'internal' inventory. I find i often tend to run out of inventory space altogether.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Ahhh okay, I mistook you. But personally I've never had a problem with not enough inventory space, so I can't comment. :p

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

It's currently somewhat difficult (but theoretically doable)...but mostly I think it'd be somewhat annoying to the user of the mod.

The two problems with implementing this: To increase the main inventory a new player prototype definition must be made (since it is currently impossible to change the original in game), and then the player characters must be switched from the old one with 60 to the new one with more. The first problem is how to know when to switch them, it's impossible to get the inventory of the modular armors, but it could work just by having it in the regular inventory or right clicking with the item (and the player pretends that it was inserted into the armor), or it could be done with regular research. The second problem comes with the character swapping itself and stems from the lack of access to modular armor inventories, when you swap characters you have to create a new character (that has no items) and give it the items that the old character has...but you can not 'copy' the items from the old player character, you have to get a list of the names of what's in the old character's inventories and then use those names to insert the proper items into the new one (and afterwards destroy the old player)...since the name of the modular armor simply comes back as the modular armor not modular armor+installed equipment, you can not insert the modular armor and let it keep the equipment inside.

A workaround to this last is to prompt the user with a gui and tell them to put their armor into a chest and then click 'yes' on the gui to do the swap, after the swap they could put the armor back on. Alternatively a script interface could be used and the user would have to type into the console remote.call("mod", "doSwap") or something.

Most people are able to keep their inventories clean enough by only keeping what they need for the task they are about to do next (or need regardless of what they are doing, like transport belts), and logistic bots to resupply them (or simply a storage place where they can supply manually...but that's manual and this game is about automating everything!)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What I would like more, is something, which removes stuff from my inventory, if it is too much. Logistic bots can add stuff to my character, so they can also remove stuff...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

necro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by necro »

ssilk wrote:What I would like more, is something, which removes stuff from my inventory, if it is too much. Logistic bots can add stuff to my character, so they can also remove stuff...
That's a good one, i second this idea.

Tenebrous
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tenebrous »

mavzor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mavzor »

Agreed.
Expensive backpacks either by research or crafting.

HoneyFox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoneyFox »

This request can perhaps be done partially by implementing backpack logic in lua by modders themselves.
So that they create some virtual containers and store {itemName, count} in their own codes (of course needs to be in glob table).
And they can create some "Swap inventory" button to swap between different inventories. The lua codes should retrieve the objects into virtual containers and insert items to the real inventory according to the information stored in their virtual containers. (of course storing information of the real inventory into a virtual container is also needed)

By this way, player can have multiple backpacks, although this will confuse the logistic robots to continue supply you with goods you requested while there are already sufficient amount of them in virtual containers.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

If player can carry more than trains then it will be wrong direction. The game is about automatization. There is no need to do OP players which can carry mountain in a backpack.

HoneyFox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoneyFox »

andzoak wrote:If player can carry more than trains then it will be wrong direction. The game is about automatization. There is no need to do OP players which can carry mountain in a backpack.
The key is not whether the amount the player can carry is too much or not, but the expansion itself.
So, like say the player has only 20~30 slots initially and can increase to up to 60 or so (similar to the current size) will render this module meaningful. that 20~30 slots might be too few (and don't forget that we still have additional 10/20 slots in quickbar BTW) but I guess it's nearly sufficient during quite early stage of the game.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”