[Request] High-friction surface covering for parking

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Request] High-friction surface covering for parking

Post by Peter34 »

Since 0.12 the game has contained surface covering items that reduce friction, enabling the player character to run faster and enabling vehicles to drive faster.

I think it'd be nice to also have an example of the reverse, a high-friction surface covering, fairly cheap to craft, that has the effect of slowing down vehicles, deccelerating them as well as reducing their maximum possible speed, so that parking areas can be created, small squares or rectangles covered with this surfacing, that you can drive your Car or Tank into, with the higher friction making it easier to stop in exactly the place to want to. That'd be particularly useful if the parking area is some kind of parking bay with Walls on 3 sides, ones you don't want to bump into.

It's not necessary for this item to have an effect on player character walking speed, but if it does slow down walking speed too then that's not a problem, as the intended usage is small rectangles, that are quick to leave, rather than covering large surfaces where the player may feel as if he is trapped in molasss.

Now, will this enhance the gameplay experience to an extreme degree?

Obviously not. But it's something that I imagine that an experienced mod maker could create fairly easily, and so the effort-to-benefit ratio actually is reasonable.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] High-friction surface covering for parking

Post by aubergine18 »

Like sand?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

ShinyAfro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ShinyAfro »

i made a copy of concrete that has a friction of 75, which seems to limit cars to 10km/h and tanks seem to be able to scoot around just fine, roughly the same speed as the car.
I seem to be able to turn cars around just fine like so, but there's a config file anyhow where you can change the friction with just a plain number. 10 concrete = 10 parking zone, looks completely identical in any way, so if you make a parking lot, it will blend in with concrete. I will upload it to the portal, but here is the file for here.

As usual, feel free to change it and do what you want with it, credit is preferred if you modify and redistribute it but not required.
Edit: forgot to add locale, just added it.
Attachments
Shinys-parkingzone_1.0.0.zip
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks again, for making this mod.

I've yet to test your mod, but my "grand" multi-player game resumes on Sunday, less than 72 hours from now, so it'd be super nice if you could update this mod to 0.14.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Just edit the info.json to set factorio version to 0.14
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

aubergine18 wrote:Just edit the info.json to set factorio version to 0.14
That works.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”