[Solved] Craft items from your hotbar

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Tone
Inserter
Inserter

[Solved] Craft items from your hotbar

Post by Tone »

If any of you have played Ark:Survival Evolved, you will know what I'm talking about. Basically while holding a modifier key you click on a ghost item in your toolbelt/hotbar and it will craft that item on the fly. Not sure if the API would allow for this. Maybe some modders could shed more light on this?

Thank you binbinhfr for creating this mod.

Mod Link
Last edited by Tone on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Request] Craft items from your hotbar

Post by Rseding91 »

Isn't that exactly what the crafting menu is? You click an item in the menu and it crafts it on the fly?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Rseding91 wrote:Isn't that exactly what the crafting menu is? You click an item in the menu and it crafts it on the fly?
This is without opening the crafting menu.
Example: You see in your toolbar that you have 5 assemblers but you know you'll need 10. Instead of opening the inventory/crafting menu and looking for assemblers you just click on the assemblers in the toolbar while pressing a modifier key and it crafts more assemblers (1 with modifier + left-click, optionally modifier + right-click for 5 items).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Tone
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tone »

daniel34 wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Isn't that exactly what the crafting menu is? You click an item in the menu and it crafts it on the fly?
This is without opening the crafting menu.
Example: You see in your toolbar that you have 5 assemblers but you know you'll need 10. Instead of opening the inventory/crafting menu and looking for assemblers you just click on the assemblers in the toolbar while pressing a modifier key and it crafts more assemblers (1 with modifier + left-click, optionally modifier + right-click for 5 items).
Yes, This. Should have been a bit more clear. This is just a small qol change that allows you to craft without opening your inventory and was wondering if the api allows for something like this.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

You are lucky. Since hotkey apparition, I developped such a mod for my needs and never took the time to polish and release it. So here it is.
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=30400
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

NerdusOptimus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Solved] Craft items from your hotbar

Post by NerdusOptimus »

Why is this topic marked as SOLVED? Its not.
binbinhfr wrote:You are lucky
that's not the same. What if i dont have such item but have it filtered on toolbox. Also only 1 action is productive and 2 are not. 1. Pick item 2.Craft 3. Clear cursor. So mod has 33% effectiveness. 3 clicks solution takes as much time as going through the menu. 1. Open menu 2. Select tab 3. Craft. Yes, you save some time on searching in menu, but that is not a big save. It should be ONE click. Say alt LMB on item - for 1 and ALT rmb - for 5.
Why its important to have it in 1 click? Simple: when you have to focus on GUI you lose focus on game, means lose pleasure from game. More GUI mess = less game joy.

PS not critisizing your mod. Just want that implemented.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Solved] Craft items from your hotbar

Post by binbinhfr »

NerdusOptimus wrote:It should be ONE click. Say alt LMB on item - for 1 and ALT rmb - for 5.
PS not critisizing your mod. Just want that implemented.
Not possible for a mod as far as I know. We are in the mod section. Ask the devs for it.

And note taht the original requester "Tone" is happy with what I did.
And for me, it is still quicker than browsing thru the recipes panel, especially when you have lots of mods.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”